Talk

Advanced search

Fuck I’ve got a sore throat

(71 Posts)
DoogleBug Mon 18-May-20 20:58:26

I have a sore throat that has only just started. I’m worried that if it is the coronavirus I can only have caught it from my children, who split their time between here and their fathers house who is a key worker. Won’t this mean that I will have had a huge viral dose or load or whatever it’s called? My children are young enough to be all over me most of the day. Tonight I noticed as well that my eldest has had a bit of a cough all day. I had put it down to hayfever, other than that they are both absolutely fine.

DahliaDay Mon 18-May-20 20:59:27

Not sure I’d a random sore throat is a symptom

DahliaDay Mon 18-May-20 20:59:40

*if

Time2change2 Mon 18-May-20 21:00:00

Please don’t stress! I’ve had about 5 sore throats during this lock down! It’s could be anything! My advice is take extra vitamin C (do you have the dissolvable ones?) take some painkillers if it’s bad and drink lots of water.

PurpleDaisies Mon 18-May-20 21:00:17

There’s nothing to suggest that’s coronavirus.

Ginfilledcats Mon 18-May-20 21:01:15

You can't get a huge viral load from your kids. You'll be fine. Sore throat isn't a symptom. Cough, temp, loss of sense of smell or taste are the big ones.

Relax take some vitamin c, paracetamol and a hot drink, and an early night

Justgivemesomepeace Mon 18-May-20 21:03:12

About 5 or 6 weeks ago I had a sore throat and muscle aches and felt generally crappy. DS had a high temp and was ill the week before. It never developed into anything else but I was worried for a few days. I don't know whether it was Corona or just a random virus. Hope you and your kids are ok.

RhymingRabbit3 Mon 18-May-20 21:03:45

No point stressing. If you have it, you have it and you dont know what the viral load is and you cant change it. You can now get a test if you really think you have it, but if a sore throat is your only symptom you're probably clear.

twinnywinny14 Mon 18-May-20 21:07:38

I am as certain as I can be that I had it in March. It started with a sore throat for 2 days and then other symptoms after that so wait and see. If your child has a cough that started today then you need to self isolate anyway

DoogleBug Mon 18-May-20 21:10:00

We will self isolate just in case. I just feel like I “know” this is it and feel really concerned about it, especially the viral load thing.

MaryBerrysBananaLoaf Mon 18-May-20 21:10:37

I had a sore throat last week but it went off after a couple of days.

Bellendejour Mon 18-May-20 21:11:19

I’ve had three or four sore throats since lockdown, I think it’s just what my body does when I’m a bit run down/stressed. None have turned into anything. Get some strepsils and maybe a gargle like Oraldene (you can get it on amazon). Good to take vits anyway atm plus lots of fruit and veg.

Idododoidadada Mon 18-May-20 21:27:38

I had a cough recently, booked a test for the next day then woke up with a sore throat.
Test was negative and all my symptoms vanished within 3 days.
I don’t think work were very impressed with me.

CherryValanc Mon 18-May-20 21:28:46

What do you think a viral load is? Have you got the definition from MN? Because it's been repeatedly used incorrectly on here.

A viral load is the amount of virus an infected person has in their body and sheds. If you have a higher viral load it mean you probably be more infectious (you will infect people). It has nothing to do with the amount of virus you are exposed to. (And also with Covid-19 a high viral load has no relation to severity of symptoms.)

What it's been defined as in MN is a high amount of virus someone is exposed to and the higher it is, the more ill you are. That's wrong.

An infectious dose is the amount virus you need to be exposed to get infected. There's no clear evidence that being exposed to a lot of the virus makes you more ill either.

Add that to the fact there's no reason why you have been exposed to a high dose of the virus it's unlikely you'll be that ill even if it is Covid-19.

BuzzingtheBee Mon 18-May-20 21:28:48

Put some tea tree oil on the outside of your neck

DoogleBug Mon 18-May-20 21:33:19

@CherryValanc I mean the infectious dose yes. I’m worried that if my children have caught it from their Dad and although they have shown few symptoms they have been kissing/ cuddling/ at one point licking me etc for the last few days and so that will be high.

avroroad Mon 18-May-20 21:36:54

We will self isolate just in case.

Why? Total over reaction. Calm down. As per a pp I have had a sore throat more than once throughout the lockdown period and just before. It was just a sore throat.

KaptenKrusty Mon 18-May-20 21:38:46

Omg calm down ! Have a hot whisky, get some rest!

If you have it then stay home and isolate and get yourself well ! You’ll probably be fine !

I think I had it a while back! I’ve a sore throat again now!

You’ll likely be fine

selfisolationsociety Mon 18-May-20 21:39:10

My throat has been sore on and off since lockdown, I get bad hayfever and every fucker that ever existed has nothing better to do than cut their grass every few days haha this includes my DP. I have allergies as well, mine are grass, pollen, dust, mould to name a few. Whilst we keep on top of cleaning etc, the helpful advice from hospital was keep windows open to help with the dust but also they need to be shut because of the pollen and outside crap blowing in 🤷🏼‍♀️ We also live with someone who is shielding (nan) so windows are open. My throat hurts so I swallow more to make sure it still hurts, which irritates it even more. Also my nose is terrible because I had deviated septum and after an op it’s even worse but straight so I get lost nasal drip, this causes tickles, causes coughs. I worked in a school until 20/3 and even then remained covid free. Also when I run I breathe and sleep with my mouth open, I’m so attractive so my mouth I got lots of air down there, this makes it dry and sore too. My point is lots of stuff can make it irritated.

DoogleBug Mon 18-May-20 21:41:18

@avroroad because my DS has been coughing.

avroroad Mon 18-May-20 21:42:48

because my DS has been coughing.

Sorry, I missed that

CherryValanc Mon 18-May-20 21:46:45

But it doesn't matter if they have it and now are shedding it at a high rate. (You could be asymptomatic and shed at a high rate.)

The infectious dose with Covid-19 is probably low (seeing it's so easy spread). It doesn't take much exposure to get Covid-19. Even then, how much of the virus at infection isn’t related to the severity of the illness.

So don't worry about it. Your sore throat could easily be just a sore throat. Just stay cautious, keep practising precautions (wash your hands etc)

Toomuchtrouble4me Mon 18-May-20 21:49:40

I had a sore throat for two weeks, I was convinced, my son had diahoreah, a cough and red itchy eyes which can be symptoms, it went, I didn't have it. Nor did he.

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 18-May-20 21:56:02

I would take some paracetamol and have a hot drink and a decent night’s sleep. I’d also book a test so that you know what you’re dealing with.

Try not to panic, even if it is coronavirus it’s a mild illness for the vast majority of people. Chances are you’ll be absolutely fine in a few days.

I hope you feel better soon.

avroroad Mon 18-May-20 22:11:07

I’d also book a test so that you know what you’re dealing with.

You can't just 'book a test'. You have to have symptoms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »