Talk

Advanced search

Should masks be mandatory on public transport for the time being?

(96 Posts)
jobhunter7 Mon 18-May-20 17:30:18

Discuss.

They have done this in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria...

OP’s posts: |
Sparklingbrook Mon 18-May-20 17:30:51

No

Redolent Mon 18-May-20 17:33:30

Yes. Any environment that is enclosed, with poor air circulation and high density of people, spells trouble.

The usual exemptions for asthmatics etc

Redolent Mon 18-May-20 17:35:17

Of course, knowing the UK’s snail pace. they will make it mandatory in two months or so. Just when everyone else has moved on to other containment methods.

okiedokieme Mon 18-May-20 17:35:20

There was 6 people in total on the intercity today, across 5 carriages -! I didn't bother wearing a mask!

SquirmOfEels Mon 18-May-20 17:39:36

Khan is supporting TfL in requiring them on London transport.

I expect we'll all get used to them very soon.

I can remember how bitterly people deplored the infringement on their liberties when seat belts were firs required. Everyone got over that, and they'll get over the strangeness of this too.

(People whose breathing is so bad that they cannot wear a mask should perhaps not be on public transport for the time being anyhow)

jobhunter7 Mon 18-May-20 18:26:46

@okiedokieme

I am guessing London underground was a bit busier.

cologne4711 Mon 18-May-20 18:31:22

Yes I think so. It would be better than the impractical ideas they have for trying to space people out on trains and buses, which aren't workable.

Tonz Mon 18-May-20 18:32:23

From what I've heard about bus driver deaths then yes we should be wearing masks or face coverings on public transport

Randomschoolworker19 Mon 18-May-20 18:38:56

Yep, IMO you should be required to wear a face covering in any enclosed public space whether that be public transport or shops.

PennyArrowBar Mon 18-May-20 18:41:05

Yes. DH works as security on public city centre transport. It will be a fucking nightmare to enforce though. Those who don't want to for arsehole reasons will just be arseholes about it anyway.

MarginalGain Mon 18-May-20 18:41:11

No.

jobhunter7 Mon 18-May-20 19:11:49

They are supposed to review lockdown next week, aren't they?

ssd Mon 18-May-20 19:15:54

I think they should be mandatory, but it takes some getting used to.

SquirmOfEels Mon 18-May-20 19:16:28

They are supposed to review lockdown next week, aren't they?

Yes, next 3 week review point is Thurs 28/05

Cornettoninja Mon 18-May-20 19:24:40

I think they should be yes. I can’t understand the huge reluctance to use a face covering in this country, people from areas with experience with SARS must think we’ve collectively lost the plot to have such an aversion to such a simple thing.

Mum2jenny Mon 18-May-20 19:28:05

No

lljkk Mon 18-May-20 19:38:30

It would seem rather silly on my local trains & buses which are completely empty -- oh, apart from the drivers who sometimes are wearing face covers.

FelineUK Mon 18-May-20 20:15:24

Yes, it should be mandatory on public transport but, getting everyone to adhere to rules is another thing. If the government would like to impose this and issue each household with masks then ok.. but that's not going to happen either.. I wore a mask when I went out for the first time in 9 weeks and actually now have a cold!

jcyclops Mon 18-May-20 20:49:50

Yes.
Social distancing at 2m is not really necessary if everyone is wearing a mask - 1m is plenty. UK national government or regional assembly will never put this out as the media/opposition/unions and general idiots public will moan about mixed messaging.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 18-May-20 20:55:08

Why do people love mandating so much? How about we encourage and facilitate? Put dispensers with masks at the entrance to stations and on busses, have an ad campaign, have slebs join in, and have most people take part. Eventually the ones not doing it look like twats.

Rather than Stasi reporting and fining people.

Derbygerbil Mon 18-May-20 20:58:03

Unless people are required to be 2 metres apart, which is impossible in most cases, so definitely yes. I don’t get why this is a problem.

Jane67996 Mon 18-May-20 20:58:16

No

Derbygerbil Mon 18-May-20 20:59:23

Yes, it should be mandatory on public transport but, getting everyone to adhere to rules is another thing.

Easy, you wear a mask or you’re not getting on. You keep the mask on, or you get thrown off.

Derbygerbil Mon 18-May-20 21:01:39

Interesting the one word “no” answers... no explanation, just a defiant, stubborn “no”.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »