Talk

Advanced search

Hospitality workers do you think July is optimistic for reopening?

(23 Posts)
whatisforteamum Fri 15-May-20 21:35:11

I know hospitality is a very broad term and covers outdoor cafes and not just pubs.In my heart and from all that has been said before I would be surprised if pubs open before late august,september.Also as a chef I am apprehensive regarding social distancing.
What do other pub mangers and workers think.

Cabinfever10 Fri 15-May-20 21:41:48

I manage a restaurant (part of a large chain) head office is talking about hopefully partially opening for Christmas shock.
I hope that they are wrong however I can't see enough people wanting to go out for a meal in a restaurant to make it financially viable to open before then

avocadont Fri 15-May-20 21:44:58

July is definitely optimistic, but I don't think they'll leave it until much after that.

MarcelineMissouri Fri 15-May-20 21:45:58

Not hospitality but cinema which is also included in phase 3..... they are currently working towards 4th July and hoping for the best but personally I think it seems unlikely. Maybe August if we’re lucky?

I realise it’s slightly different to restaurants as it’s probably easier to implement social distancing and cinemas do not rely on such high levels of attendance as restaurants but thought I’d comment anyway as it’s the same phase.

@cabinfever we love eating out and will be returning to restaurants as soon as they open (assuming we haven’t lost our jobs in the meantime...) I don’t think I’m the only person who feels like that x

Sparklingbrook Fri 15-May-20 21:48:54

It's difficult because although they may be given the go ahead to reopen will anyone want to go? There will be many people not wanting to go out for anything not essential, and then some who won't have the funds to do it.
Plus with social distancing still presumably a thing that's some tables removed, will there be enough to make it worthwhile money wise.

I love a trip to the pub but can't say I will be first in the queue to start going back to them.

AvoidingRealHumans Fri 15-May-20 21:49:00

I work in a hotel and can't see it reopening July 4th, I think even if other things open they will still say no non essential travel.

I wonder if this is why furlough has been extended, because they know this industry wont be up and running fully?

Linwin Fri 15-May-20 21:52:11

I own a restaurant, it’s such a dire situation for the whole industry. I am hoping for August but think it may even be September. I’ll be shocked if we are back for July.

It’s one thing being able to facilitate social distancing for customers but nigh on impossible with employees. Most restaurant kitchens would just not be big enough.

whatisforteamum Fri 15-May-20 21:53:22

Cabinfever Christmas parties will be a thing of the past surely?where I work we had 16 s 25 size bookings from offices locally.All booked up from late november.I can barely envisage it working.😥

Cabinfever10 Fri 15-May-20 21:53:44

@marcelinemissouri I hope that you are correct but we are in Scotland and still under full lockdown so who knows.
I'm lucky I've been furloughed but most of my staff are on zero hours contact (not my choice) and have had to go on UC its absolutely shit

whatisforteamum Fri 15-May-20 22:00:52

I agree with you all.All the hygiene rules and allergies now this!.Surely the risk to the KPs washing up is high despite the dishwashers.
I feel like furlough has been extended for us and cinemas theatres.All that we love about our industry is under threat.

MarcelineMissouri Fri 15-May-20 22:05:07

@whatisforteamum well if that’s what they think re the extension of furlough they will have to offer additional measures on top of that. Pretty much everything else runs out at the end of June! How many hospitality or leisure venues will be able to survive 6+ months of complete closure? Not many I don’t think sad

Cabinfever10 Fri 15-May-20 22:05:43

@whatisforteamum try telling head office that

whatisforteamum Fri 15-May-20 22:23:58

Part of me doesn't see my place reopening after the head guy was on the news stating profit would be down 80% with current social distancing measures.
It is all a mess.

Jellykat Fri 15-May-20 22:26:15

I can't see July opening happening where i work, it would be impossible to financially run on less then half capacity, which social distancing would require.
Yes you could run on a shoestring staff, not waitress up to the tables etc but the other overheads would be the same as usual.

KaronAVyrus Fri 15-May-20 22:26:45

In Scotland and no one knows what’s going on. It’s a disaster.

whatisforteamum Sat 16-May-20 18:46:06

I just thought some of my colleagues live above the pub.The implications could be far worse for them.The uncertainty is hard to deal with.

Timeandtune Sat 16-May-20 18:50:03

My son is a DJ. Hard to imagine when clubs might open and social distancing will be impossible to enforce. He is contemplating a career change when this is all over.

heartsonacake Sat 16-May-20 18:51:53

Whenever restaurants open, there won’t be a lack of people wanting to dine in them I can guarentee that. People will be practically running through the doors.

Bridecilla Sat 16-May-20 18:55:58

We were due to get married in July. We've postponed but we've got 2 jury's inn rooms and 2 a crown plaza one booked. Didn't book with the refund option stupidly.

Haven't been in touch with them yet as I wasnt sure what to do. Hoping that if hospitality isn't up and running then we can shift the booking with them till next year

Wtfdidwedo Sat 16-May-20 18:56:10

Our chain hasn't given a date but they have been looking at prices of plastic screens between all tables and contactless ways of ordering and collecting food. My concern is that things will reopen but with a massively reduced FOH staff as things are made more DIY. As a manager I am massively concerned for my team. We can't be expected to socially distance from our colleagues though!

BamboozledandBefuddled Sat 16-May-20 18:58:02

I'm won't be avoiding restaurants. If I have my way, I'm never cooking again when this is over.

MarcelineMissouri Sat 16-May-20 18:58:35

Has anyone been to the Rollercoaster Restaurant at Alton Towers? Perfect set up for reducing contact!

whatisforteamum Sat 16-May-20 18:59:36

Timeandtune my DS loves clubbing.It is harder for the younger ones I think.I was considering a career change as I've been in my trade for 36 yrs.
I may have my hand forced.
Heartsonacake that is good to hear.Nice that people appreciate all that chefs do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »