Talk

Advanced search

Worried about TUI not cancelling holidays after 11 June

(17 Posts)
notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 21:30:50

What’s everyone’s thoughts on whether holidays to Greece will be on at the end of June? We are due to go to a Greek island on 30 June and I am really hoping it will be cancelled as would not be comfortable with travelling then but I am concerned that they will lift the travel ban just before then and it will either be a case of go and be a guinea pig or lose the full cost of the holiday!

OP’s posts: |
BentBastard Fri 15-May-20 21:32:22

Greece might not be allowing Brits in at the end of June (certainly not without quarantine).

If the holiday is not cancelled you could find yourself spending it in quarantine...

notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 21:41:56

Hopefully they won’t let us in! I expect the holiday will be cancelled if we would have to quarantine when we get there but I understand that holidays will not be cancelled just because we would have to quarantine when we get home which is frustrating. I have seen a couple of articles which are suggesting that Greece want tourists back asap and that is what is concerning me.

OP’s posts: |
PumpkinP Fri 15-May-20 21:42:46

Can’t you change the date?

BentBastard Fri 15-May-20 21:49:06

I've heard that Greece are looking to open up to tourists again, but I'm wondering whether UK might be excluded from that given our infection rate and is now being not E.U. (makes it easier for them to exclude us).

notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 21:49:11

Yes they are allowing us to change the date for free up until the end of May but our circumstances are a bit complicated as I am now 16 weeks pregnant (the holiday was booked before I found out) and unfortunately at present the baby has a poor prognosis, I have my next consultant appt next week so will find out more then. All this means that I would have no idea when I could re-arrange for, if at all. In normal circumstances I would be happy to rebook for next year and take the baby but if the baby survives it may be very poorly so we are in no position to be planning foreign holidays. I appreciate that I would likely be in a difficult position with the holiday even if it wasn’t for coronavirus but it would make life a lot easier if it was just cancelled!

OP’s posts: |
notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 21:51:38

The holiday is of course only a small worry compared to other worries that we have at the moment but it would be one less worry to have if it was cancelled!

OP’s posts: |
Hmmmmminteresting Fri 15-May-20 21:58:08

Op we are in a similar situation regarding the holiday, we are due to fly to majorca with tui on 17th june. So far that means I need to take 4 weeks annual leave due to the 2 week quarantine both ends of the airports!
Apparently with the FCO advising against all but essential travel, that covers a 21 day period. At present the 11th june is 27 days out so they dont need to make another announcement yet but if the fco advice doesnt change in the next few days they will be forced to extend their cancellations and hopefully they will announce canx for another large chunk and not just the immediate 3 weeks following. We are holding our nerve as they want an extra £800 to move it to the same week next year which I find altogether unbelievable. We would have been happy to transfer it otherwise.

On a separate note I really hope everything works out with the baby, it must be a very worrying time for you.

notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 22:04:11

That’s useful about the 21 day period, hopefully we will hear something soon then. It is frustrating that the FCO has just advised against non essential travel indefinitely rather than putting a date on it. Of course that date could be extended but at least it means everyone knows where they are. That is shocking that they are wanting so much more for next year!

Thank you, it is a very difficult time, been in limbo for the last few weeks really.

OP’s posts: |
Laaf80 Fri 15-May-20 22:20:51

OP considering your circumstances can you claim from your holiday insurance as you got the pregnancy confirmation and prognosis after booking?

notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 22:25:48

Yes if the holiday does not get cancelled I will look at claiming through the insurance, I guess I would need a doctors note to say I’m not fit to travel.

OP’s posts: |
Cuddling57 Fri 15-May-20 22:45:33

Are you going all inclusive?
Have you seen their new ten point plan?
I would try to get a refund for that if you were going all inclusive as it would be a very different holiday to what you paid for.
I hope everything goes well with the baby.

MNnicknameforCVthreads Fri 15-May-20 22:56:17

@Cuddling57 can you post a link to the 10 point plan? Thanks

Laaf80 Fri 15-May-20 22:58:39

Of call the insurance company. You will need a doc certificate but you can probably get it over and done with now.

I hope all works out with you and baby.

notinthestarsigns Fri 15-May-20 22:58:51

@Cuddling57 I saw an article about the 10 point plan. Our holiday is not all inclusive but I agree that they really should give customers the option of a refund if the holiday is going to be that different to what you have signed up for but all seems to be very uncertain at the moment.

OP’s posts: |
Cuddling57 Sat 16-May-20 08:02:40

@MNnicknameforCVthreads
Here is the link for the ten point plan:

https://www.tuigroup.com/en-en/media/press-releases/2020/2020-05-11-tui-presents-ten-point-plan-for-hotel-operations-post-coronavirus

Cuddling57 Sat 16-May-20 08:06:31

There are a few of us on this thread if you want to join

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/coronavirus/3873298-tui-low-deposit-august-holiday

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »