Talk

Advanced search

Another annoying would you do/judge this thread. I used to think I had common sense but now I’m not sure.

(26 Posts)
flibbertmygibbert Fri 15-May-20 20:23:15

My non local friend has some 65+ year old parents in my town. They have an outdoor pool. Heated, which they rarely use but do use on occasion. You can see where I’m going with this...they have kindly offered us the use of their pool in the warm weather. Obviously they wouldn’t even come out of the house and we could use the back gate to the pool. Research I’ve done says Covid cannot survive in swimming pools. They are local. We wouldn’t need to go in the house for toilet etc. Would you? Should I? Exercise is now unlimited and varied. There isn’t even anyone there to social distance from. No other people are using the pool any other times except the two owners. I promise I used to be a grown up sensible person who made my own educated decisions but I feel I lost this status around the 6th of May. FWIW I have stuck absolutely religiously to all rules so far.

OP’s posts: |
Drivingdownthe101 Fri 15-May-20 20:24:25

I’d do it.

fluckityfluckfluck Fri 15-May-20 20:24:34

I would with bells on

HappyGoLuckyHippo Fri 15-May-20 21:29:43

I would too. Can you do it and write a post about the experience so we can live vicariously through you?

RickSanchez Fri 15-May-20 21:43:06

It sounds amazing op. Do it, and be happy that you've got the opportunity. Hopefully it'll give you a nice little lift during this frankly shitty time :-)

flibbertmygibbert Fri 15-May-20 21:54:23

Thanks so much! I thought everyone would tell me it was too much of a risk. I’ve been a bit of a wimp about the whole thing and do feel a bit stressed that Covid might be floating around the pool! We are 100% all fine and have such the tiniest most small chance of currently having it having been nowhere for 2 months! Friends parents are defo more relaxed. Shopping more regularly than needed for instance but I think it should be ok. Either that or we will do it once and I will be so stressed for the next two weeks that I won’t chance it again. It’s got to the point now though where I know that we can’t hide inside forever.

Bol87 Fri 15-May-20 22:01:56

Are you & your family healthy OP? If so, even if you did catch it, you’d 99.9% likely be totally fine. Chances are you’d get mild symptoms no worse than a cold. You may get more moderate symptoms like flu. But you’ll recover just fine, as you would any virus.

Start going out. You’ll feel much lighter & less anxious. I find going shopping once a week a lovely slice of normality. Sometimes I go twice. This week I’ve got myself & my newborn out for walks twice a day and I feel my spirits lifted!

Go use the pool!

flibbertmygibbert Fri 15-May-20 22:40:18

Thank you so much. I need people telling me this. I’m a full on certified shopping washing, parcel quarantining, 12 metre social distancing obsessive at the moment. I’ve always managed to see the absolute worst outcome of any situation. There must be a job for me somewhere. I will imagine outcomes that most normal people couldn’t fathom! Currently I’m worrying that my child does have secret Covid, will snot it into the pool and will then kill off said lovely neighbours.

vera99 Fri 15-May-20 22:44:06

It's legal and health and we need to get back to any kind of 'normal;' that we can. Do it with boundless joy !

georgialondon Fri 15-May-20 22:47:57

I would

emptyplinth Fri 15-May-20 22:49:17

I would do it

Puppybum Fri 15-May-20 22:50:57

Can I come?

Lightheart Fri 15-May-20 22:51:52

Sounds like a dream!

SquishySquirmy Fri 15-May-20 22:57:42

Is the pool regularly chlorinated?
How local are they?
Will they "pop out" for a "quick chat" while you are in their garden and if they do will they get too close/offer drinks etc? (It Would be awkward if they did to object without seeming ungrateful).

I think I probably would unless any of the answers to those questions concern you.
It is a very kind offer from them.

flibbertmygibbert Fri 15-May-20 23:05:23

They know me and my ways well so wouldn’t even think it a possibility!

Bufferingkisses Fri 15-May-20 23:28:30

The virus is not strong, soap kills it, weak bleach kills it, chlorine certainly will. Your "risk" is from high touch surfaces so watch for gates, backs of chairs, that sort of thing. Be cautious but not paranoid.

SquishySquirmy Fri 15-May-20 23:35:12

I think go for it then.
Have fun!

flibbertmygibbert Thu 21-May-20 19:18:23

Well we went. It was so beautiful it was like being on holiday for the hour we were there. Owners of pool stayed in the house. They obviously had their windows and doors open but we shouted hello and everyone stayed well away. We didn’t touch anything at all and took our own blanket to sit on. Thank you so much everyone.

saffy1234 Thu 21-May-20 19:20:20

Why not!
Happy splashing!

RhymingRabbit3 Thu 21-May-20 19:37:46

Sounds amazing, I'm very jealous as I would love to go swimming!

SleepingStandingUp Thu 21-May-20 19:41:16

My friend is sticking to the rules religiously, literally one parent waited in the car whilst she w one and then they swapped. She's using her neighbours pool under similar circs. That makes it OK 😂

bmachine Thu 21-May-20 19:42:24

Id go but id bring spray and wipe down all rails and handles before leaving...thats just me though!!!

Dozer Thu 21-May-20 19:46:08

V generous of them.

Risks re the surfaces etc that you all touch outside the pool - pool rail, tiles, any garden furniture, the floor with bare feet etc.

Dozer Thu 21-May-20 19:46:52

Impossible to swim without touching anything at all.

Imohsotired Thu 21-May-20 19:54:50

Lucky you OP, I'm craving a swim so much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »