Advanced search

Private nurseries in Scotland.

(10 Posts)
Fivefootoffun Fri 15-May-20 09:06:25

If schools in Scotland don’t go back until September (as some people are suggesting) does anyone have any knowledge as to if private nurseries will follow suit? Anyone work in one?

I ask because I am a front line NHS either due to go back from maternity leave in July. However we’re moving to a new council area at the end of June and the nursery we have secured a place for (the baby and a 3.5 year for old) can’t actually take them just now as they are only able to offer places to the children of key workers registered within that council area. Even once we move, we arnt entitled to a space.

Now in the predicament of whether we continue with the move in the hope they fully reopen by July or do we pull out of the sale altogether.

Appreciate there are no crystal balls but wondered if anybody had any knowledge from their own nursery. DH a key worker also therefore we can’t manage child care between us.

Thanks in advance,

OP’s posts: |
Fivefootoffun Fri 15-May-20 14:33:11


OP’s posts: |
Invisimamma Fri 15-May-20 14:43:57

Why are you not entitled to a key worker space? This might not be in the child's usual setting but they should be offered a space somewhere, our council are using the 'hub' system to offer key workers childcare in the early years.

Fivefootoffun Fri 15-May-20 15:37:25

Ah okay thanks didn’t realise that, will look into it. We’re crossing boundaries which is why it’s proving tricky. Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Invisimamma Fri 15-May-20 19:13:06

I'm not sure what you mean by crossing boundaries, you should be offered a place in the local authority you live in.

Fivefootoffun Fri 15-May-20 20:14:45

The nursery we are due to love to have said they are only taking key workers families that have been approved by their council. They’ve said we won’t be eligible as won’t be pre approved. Can’t take us until nursery reopens to all children

OP’s posts: |
Invisimamma Fri 15-May-20 20:31:21

You'll need to contact the council and get them to authorise your place. We had to do this (but we didn't take the place on the end as I'm now working at home). It was just an online form that asks for your key worker status / employer, what days you need and catchment area. They then email you back offering a place, in my area (Scottish council) all key worker have a guarantee of a place (if both parents key workers) but it might not be at your chosen setting.

Fivefootoffun Fri 15-May-20 21:24:26

That’s really helpful, thank you. Not ideal leaving the baby in a strange setting without settling in time etc but not much can be done just now! Needs must. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
HarrysMummy17 Fri 15-May-20 21:35:07

In our area, still Scotland. The council could only provide childcare for nhs key workers and not all key worker children such as supermarket staff, hgv drivers etc

Fivefootoffun Sat 16-May-20 06:40:24

Thanks @HarrysMummy17 - I’m
NHS front line although husband not (yet still a key worker) so dear knows what they’ll say! Il enquire anyway and hope for the best. Thanks for this!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »