Talk

Advanced search

Randomly selected for Covid testing

(7 Posts)
birdling Wed 13-May-20 08:32:20

I had a letter today, saying that I've been randomly selected to have a test as part of the research into background levels of infection.
I don't have to, it's voluntary, and I'm willing to help, but it's a self administered nose and throat swab and I'm terrified that I won't be able to bring myself to do it.
Anyone who has has the test already, what is it like? Does it hurt, or make you gag?

OP’s posts: |
BlackberryCane Wed 13-May-20 08:47:37

I haven't had this test, but I have had nose and throat swabs before and they didn't.

birdling Wed 13-May-20 09:21:45

I've heard they have to go right to the back.
sad

OP’s posts: |
Reginabambina Wed 13-May-20 09:39:37

Never had a nose swabs but throat swabs are perfectly fine.

MrsBennetsnerves Wed 13-May-20 11:00:41

I was selected for a test via the zoe c-19 tracking app. I went to a drive in test centre but was given the kit to take my own swab while there. I good mirror is useful to help see what you're doing. I gagged slightly when for the tonsil/throat part but is wasn't that bad.

cathyandclare Wed 13-May-20 11:01:45

I had one at a drive through centre, they go far back but it was totally fine.

HerbieHerr Wed 13-May-20 11:03:57

I had the test at work (NHS)
It’s completely fine, makes you feel like you’re going to sneeze and you gag a little during the throat swab but that’s it. Not painful at all just mildly uncomfortable for a few seconds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »