Talk

Advanced search

Is this essential travel?

(20 Posts)
BittersweetMemories Tue 12-May-20 21:16:26

Yes, one of those! Sorry! But it is a bit random.

DP is in the military and as part of that he spends 7 months at college (in a city 6 hours away by car) and 4 months on deployment.

When he is at college he stays in student halls.

His college closed before lockdown started and so he came home, obviously not expecting to be home for as long as he was.

Anyway, his deployment starts in three weeks, and his rental agreement for the halls ends then as well.

He has a lot of stuff in his halls, clothes, games console, TV etc but most importantly his training certs and other military bit and bobs that he needs to take with him on deployment.

The halls need all the stuff out so they can start a deep clean ready for the new students come September (assuming students will be back in education by then).

So, the question is, would a journey by car to collect his things be classed as essential travel and if not, what the hell are we supposed to do?

OP’s posts: |
palacegirl77 Tue 12-May-20 21:18:23

Of course it is. We can travel anywhere we want now for a walk, you can go and collect his things.

BittersweetMemories Tue 12-May-20 21:19:21

OH it would have been helpful if I had mentioned we are in Scotland 🤦‍♀️

mcdog Tue 12-May-20 21:30:01

I would say this is essential travel yes.

rookiemere Tue 12-May-20 21:33:38

Tricky as it's Scotland. Is there any alternative- can the stuff be stored somewhere? I hope we won't be too far behind England so it should be easier in a few weeks.

BittersweetMemories Tue 12-May-20 21:41:33

His TV, clothes, console etc could be stored but he needs his training certificates, MOD90 card etc to go on deployment which are all in a locked drawer in his room... And of course the key for it is on his house keys which are here!

BittersweetMemories Wed 13-May-20 21:21:59

Hopeful bump!

Madvixen Wed 13-May-20 22:28:36

If his MOD90 is there then yes it is essential travel as he won't be able to deploy without it

LilyPond2 Wed 13-May-20 22:38:14

Presumably Scotland allows travel for work purposes? If he's collecting something essential for his deployment, would that be permitted travel due to being work related?

TokyoSushi Wed 13-May-20 22:38:35

Trickier as Scotland, but I'd agree that it's essential travel.

SamSeabornforPresident Wed 13-May-20 22:41:30

Of course it's essential travel. There's no checklist, people are (generally) being relied upon to use their own discretion.

AndMyHairWillShineLikeTheSea Wed 13-May-20 22:44:10

Of course it's essential!!

CoronaIsComing Wed 13-May-20 22:48:59

Yes it’s definitely essential if he needs his card! And while you’re there, you might as well pick up the rest of his things.

Mrsjayy Wed 13-May-20 22:49:00

You can "move out"even in Scotland I read a thing the other day that scottish uni students were moving out of halls.

avroroad Wed 13-May-20 22:57:10

It's not tricky because it's Scotland at all. It's work. He is allowed to travel. He needs things for his deployment.

Mrsjayy Wed 13-May-20 23:07:32

My dh had to drive to the borders last week for work we live in central scotland any travel for work is essential if you can't work from home you dh needs his things for work.

Clemmieandareallybigbunfight Wed 13-May-20 23:09:28

Of course it is essential. I'm a bit bemused he couldn't work that out tbh.

CoachBombay Wed 13-May-20 23:16:33

Nah tell him to WhatsApp his CoC say his TV is in college can't deploy, he will sack it off this rotation.

Yes it's essential, he needs his belongings 😂

Mrsjayy Wed 13-May-20 23:17:54

He is probably not arsed and going to get his stuff t is the op that is umming and ahhing about it and looking for a little reassurance. Essential is sending us dolally grin

AndMyHairWillShineLikeTheSea Thu 14-May-20 06:36:37

I know, I'd be surprised if a soldier was worried about going to collect these things and wondering if it was essential.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »