Talk

Advanced search

Car parks and open spaces

(9 Posts)
Nochangeplease Tue 12-May-20 20:58:31

Do you think car parks will start opening up again now? It’s all well and good saying we can drive to places now but there’s still nowhere to park.
I’m in London and desperate to be able to drive for an hour for a nice walk.

OP’s posts: |
cologne4711 Tue 12-May-20 22:12:52

One local council near me is reopening their car parks tomorrow. If you want to get out of London I would check first. Though I would have thought that there were enough parks in London to keep you going for a while.

Other options depending what side of London you are - St Albans, park in town and go for walk along old railway line or just around Verulanium Park.

West London - Harmondsworth Moor, even if the car park is closed the roads around it are quiet. You could also see if the National Trust is reopening anywhere. Also this: www.threerivers.gov.uk/egcl-page/rickmansworth-aquadrome car park closed but says railway station is half a mile away and it may have its own car park. They may reopen after tomorrow anyway.

South London - plenty of places to park near Bushy Park or Richmond Park and there is also Osterley Park - not sure if NT car park will be open but you could park in the road leading to it which is quite long. Or drive out to Bramley in Surrey and walk along old railway line.

East London - Lee Valley or Epping Forest?

pontypridd Tue 12-May-20 22:18:44

All car parks for Epping forest are shut off and closed. Every available space nearby is coned off. Not worth the journey there.,

Epping Forest police are on a power trip.

TowerRingInferno Tue 12-May-20 22:20:37

Places near us (not London) seem to be opening their car parks but with only alternate spaces available. Wonder if that will be the norm everywhere for a while.

BunsyGirl Tue 12-May-20 22:20:53

I’ve read that the National Trust are going to start opening some of their car parks from tomorrow.

Nochangeplease Tue 12-May-20 22:46:54

@cologne4711 Thank you
For the tips. A lot of the parks in London also have the car parks shut too.

Nochangeplease Tue 12-May-20 22:47:36

I’m hoping national trust open theirs up soon

Fifthtimelucky Wed 13-May-20 10:12:42

National Trust is starting to open car parks for open spaces (not houses and garden) from today and hopes to have them all open within a week. Houses and gardens will stay shut for the time being.

See excerpt below from the FAQs on their website

3. Which places are you reopening?
We are planning to reopen our car parks in England but our pay-for-entry places including houses and gardens remain closed. We will be updating our reopening plans on our website.
Car parks in Wales and Northern Ireland will not reopen at this stage in line with current guidance there.

4. When will your car parks be open?
Initially we plan to start opening some of our car parks in England from Wednesday 13 May. Car parks which are staffed and have facilities, will take longer. Most car parks will be open by the 21 May.
Car parks in Wales and Northern Ireland will not reopen at this stage in line with current guidance there.

5. Why haven't you opened all your car parks at the same time following government advice?
Some of our car parks have facilities and require staff. Getting staff back from furlough, to manage our car parks and facilities, and ensuring we maintain their safety, has to be carefully planned in line with government guidance. Initially we plan to start opening some of our car parks that don’t require staff. Car parks, which are staffed and with facilities, will take longer to reopen. s

Nochangeplease Wed 13-May-20 10:19:20

Thank you I saw this today. I’ll have to wait and see what ones are open as I doesn’t say yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »