Advanced search

Coronavirus and cervical smear test

(4 Posts)
Justaminute123 Wed 13-May-20 12:24:01

Thank you for your replies, I’m going to keep an eye on things for now.

OP’s posts: |
Floatyboat Tue 12-May-20 16:09:33

I think it's important to distinguish screening from investigating symptoms.

cptartapp Tue 12-May-20 16:07:45

Routine three or five yearly cervical smears are on hold, those on a more frequent follow up following colposcopy or HPV positive result (i.e., 12 monthly) are still being done in our practice.
We can't do smears 'early', even with symptoms, the lab are very strict and if not due (6 months early is the absolute max) they will bin the sample. Swabs and a vaginal exam are the first step. If symptoms don't resolve, your GP should be able to refer you back to the hospital again.

Justaminute123 Tue 12-May-20 15:50:16

I was diagnosed with a cervical erosion a number of years ago which was cauterised, with minor recurrence of symptoms afterward which were manageable. I haven’t had symptoms for the past few years - until the last month or so when spotting between periods has started up again. I was examined by the GP today who couldn’t see anything of concern and has sent off a couple of swabs to rule out infection. I was told that since the cervical cancer screening programme is on hold at present due to coronavirus, and given they don’t do tests outwith that programme, a swab wouldn’t be sent off to check for cancerous cells. I was told just to keep an eye on things and if symptoms worsen to get back in touch.

I’m based in Scotland and was wondering if the above position is indeed correct? I know that the screening programme is on hold at the moment but I wondered if testing would still take place where individuals came forward with concerns about symptoms. The GP also said that a visual exam is better than a test, but in the past I’ve had swabs checked outwith the general screening programme where necessary just to make sure there’s nothing nasty going on.

I’m pretty sure it’s just the erosion that’s come back again but I feel a bit uneasy without the reassurance of a test showing everything is indeed ok this time round.

Anyone had similar advice at this time? Wondering whether to query further or not. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in