Talk

Advanced search

Face mask wearing for people with glasses

(13 Posts)
Makinganewthinghappen Tue 12-May-20 09:21:56

Some of the shops near us are starting to ask if people could wear face masks so dh and I found some washable ones which seem to be made if some
Sort of stretchy Lycra style material so we can wear them in those shops.

I am having major problems in that every time I put it on my glasses steam up majorly if it covers my nose!

I’m probably doing something really stupid - or using the wrong type of mask can anyone tell me how I can stop the steaming up - it’s going to be hard to do my shopping from behind a fog grin

OP’s posts: |
Singingatmidnight Tue 12-May-20 09:23:05

Apparently if you fold up a tissue and stick it in the gap at the top, it stops this. (But I don't wear glasses, so haven't tried it!)

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 12-May-20 09:23:40

try squashing a tissue between the noseband of the mask and your mouth. It's supposed to stop the hot air reaching your glasses so they don't steam.

middleager Tue 12-May-20 09:26:35

I went to the supermarket in a dust mask on a hot day last week and my glasses steamed up completely.
Will try that tip thanks.

CrotchetyQuaver Tue 12-May-20 09:27:14

What a great idea, I shall certainly try that!

Makinganewthinghappen Tue 12-May-20 09:30:00

Ah thanks I will try that!

OP’s posts: |
maggiso Tue 12-May-20 14:55:25

The tissue trick works with a surgical style mask. As a spectacle wearer I find masks that fit precisely at the top and follows the contours of the face work best such as valved cycle/ DIY masks.
I am uncertain of the advice on face coverings, but if it’s just as good to cover only the mouth, ( my understanding is that the risk to others is from aerosol droplets and spital from talking and coughing, rather than breathing) and then wearing a mouth mask only or not covering the nose solves the problem but only protects others.

Pigletpoglet Tue 12-May-20 15:03:47

Don't know if you sew, but I made some facemasks from a pattern found online.
I then sewed an extra line of stitching about a 1/4" from the top, open at each end, to make a 'tube' in the fabric. I can thread a pipecleaner into the tube (from the inside), which can be bent over your nose and forms a much closer seal under your glasses. The pipecleaner can be taken out when you wash the mask, and replaced with a clean one.
Works like a dream!

Justhenders Thu 14-May-20 10:42:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LadyPenelope68 Thu 14-May-20 10:50:57

Wash your glasses with fairy liquid as well, as for some reason that stops them steaming up as much!

Bigfishylittlefishy Thu 14-May-20 10:50:59

I have the same problem I bought a mask off eBay with a filter on,solves the problem

EarlLeighIndamornin Thu 14-May-20 12:57:31

Wash your glasses with soap.

PrincessButtockUp Thu 14-May-20 13:12:25

I favour the pipe cleaner approach. I have to avoid washing my glasses with dishwashing liquid as it stripped the coating off my old pair of lenses. My prescription means the anti-reflective coating is vital, so soap and detergent are not recommended.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »