Talk

Advanced search

To actually think most jobs will be ok?

(96 Posts)
Rainbow12e Tue 12-May-20 09:11:34

I do think this may be the case. Aviation for one. Ryanair are reintroducing flights and slowly but surely people will hopefully get back on track.
Of course you have the scaremongering of the press but I don't think as many jobs will be lost as everyone thinks.

OP’s posts: |
onemorepringle Tue 12-May-20 09:13:22

OK as in ‘will still exist’ or OK as in ‘won’t put you at risk of catching the virus’?

YABU either way.

onemorepringle Tue 12-May-20 09:14:46

But hey, I’ll tell DH (who works in the music industry) there’s nothing to worry about because Ryanair - always a shining example of anything - are carrying on as usual.

usernotknown Tue 12-May-20 09:16:22

You don't think people who work in hospitality will lose their job? Even when cafes, restaurants pubs etc are allowed to open they will only be allowed to accommodate less than half their customers. So no, I don't think most people in that industry will keep their jobs.

TyrionsNextWife Tue 12-May-20 09:19:05

I think a lot of the huge companies will make a substantial amount of people redundant but then end up having recruitment drives when things start picking up again. There’ll be a gap with people struggling to find jobs in the meantime though.
A lot of small businesses will go under, and there’ll be people floating around until new businesses are created to fill in the market gaps.
The jobs will ‘reappear’ eventually but I should think there’ll a period of high unemployment and people will end up working for other companies or different industries.

ivfgottostaypositive Tue 12-May-20 09:20:39

I think you are naive at best

Whole swathes of businesses still don't have a realistic opening date - pubs and restaurants may be gearing up for July 4th but with social distancing measures and people still being nervous about being in public places their potential income is going to be significantly reduced which means job cuts

I'm guessing you are one of the lucky ones whose jobs aren't at anyway at risk - health care, teachers, civil service, police etc

It's the lower paid retail and hospitality sectors which are going to see significant job cuts

avroroad Tue 12-May-20 09:22:33

Ryanair are reintroducing flights?

userxx Tue 12-May-20 09:26:02

* I think you are naive at best*

This.

HolyMilkBoobiesBatman Tue 12-May-20 09:27:49

Sure, EVENTUALLY these industries and companies will recover or new ones will pop up. But we’re talking years not months.

Take the travel industry for example; less demand now means flights are being cancelled so jobs will be lost. In the coming months as things open up there will still be a reduced demand partly because people will be reluctant to travel and partly because people won’t want to spend savings on holidays if they feel they are in a financially precarious position. This in turn will lead to further job losses.
Globally this will lead to less demand at hotels/restaurants/museums/aquariums and all the other sort of places people visit on holiday.

Of course this won’t last forever but for many people the job losses and subsequent financial losses will be devastating for years to come.
The fact that in five years time you might be ok is hardly comfort to those who are struggling to provide dinner this week.

If you can’t feel or see these impacts then found yourself lucky.

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Tue 12-May-20 09:30:18

"Ryanair are reintroducing flights?"
Yes. Michael O'Leary was on BBC Breakfast this morning confirming this.

avroroad Tue 12-May-20 09:41:04

@HolyMilkBoobiesBatman

Thanks. I didn't see that.

avroroad Tue 12-May-20 09:41:33

@NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite

Sorry, tagged wrong person blush

trappedsincesundaymorn Tue 12-May-20 09:42:54

The 1200 of us that have had an e-mail saying that the company may "need to scale back production in the near future" don't agree with you OP.

SorrelBlackbeak Tue 12-May-20 09:43:35

They're reintroducing flights if they're allowed to do so and it is cost effective to do so. If when the EU agree their travel rules, aircraft have fewer landing slots and a legal obligation for all passengers to quarantine, no one is going to bother flying.

He's saying that he'll fill the plane as much as possible - he may find this isn't allowed so the flights don't stack up financially or that people choose not to book because they don't feel safe.

Basically in a shock to no one, Michael O'Leary is talking himself up on the TV again.

SorrelBlackbeak Tue 12-May-20 09:47:27

Interestingly, Ryanair's shareholder statement on 1st May was much less optimistic- https://investor.ryanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Ryanair-May-1-2020.pdf

BarbaraofSeville Tue 12-May-20 10:13:44

Michael O'Leary was on BBC Breakfast this morning confirming this

What a car crash that was, bearing in mind it was the BBC, and he kept going on about 2 weeks in the sun, so we're clearly talking about 'normal' family summer holidays in Spain etc from the UK. I know Ryanair fly between other countries and not everyone who uses them for leisure travel, but that was the focus of the interview, other than Michael O'Leary being himself on national TV.

What he means is that he is selling seats on flights that no-one knows whether or not they will be able to operate. But it's OK for him, because he's got the money for the bookings. That he will keep if he decides that the plane flies, whether passengers are on it or not.

If the flights are allowed to operate, they might not let people enter the country they are flying to, if they do, will the accommodation be open? If the accomodation is open, will you be expected to stay in it, or will you be able to go out and about?

Will the bars, restaurants, waterparks, cultural sites and everything else people like to do on holiday be open?

They've already said that people flying into the UK will have to quarantine at home for two weeks on entry from the end of this month. I don't know how long for, but it could well be until the end of the summer.

So Michael O'Leary seriously believes that families will be queuing up to spend £££s on traveling abroad to stay in a hotel room, but not go to the beach, pool, city, restaurant, have an icecream or do any other holiday thing, in a country that might not even let them in - and stay at home for two weeks quarantine afterwards and not even be allowed to go to work, shops, out for walks etc?

Martin Lewis has recommended that no-one books any travel for the next 2/3 months and that seems like a much more sensible approach.

Back to the point of the OP. Most jobs probably will be OK. But even if say 10/20% of people lose their jobs, that's millions of unemployed people suffering lack of income and needing to compete for jobs that simply don't exist and will suffer significantly, despite 'most jobs being OK'.

Honeyroar Tue 12-May-20 10:18:28

Oh good! Let’s tell the 12,000 at BA that are going to be made redundant and the remaining 50,000 that are going to be forced onto zero hours, lower paid contracts.

Isoneedtorun Tue 12-May-20 10:18:43

Ryan Air 🤦

Rainbow12e Tue 12-May-20 11:27:53

What I meant was there are reasons to be optimistic especially with Ryanair, a company which just weeks before were told they were going to make loads of redundancies. I do have hope many companies will bounce back a lot sooner than estimated.

SeasonFinale Tue 12-May-20 11:31:15

I am not sure hoping to get 40% of their flights back running constitutes ok.

Rainbow12e Tue 12-May-20 11:33:25

No, but it's a optimistic start.

Cherrybakewelll Tue 12-May-20 11:38:23

I think quite a lot of businesses will be affected and they won’t have the money to pay staff wages. Things will be a slow start even when they are open. Once the shops open I definitely think hospitals will be under massive pressure and it will lead to lockdown being reinforced and loss of jobs.

SeasonFinale Tue 12-May-20 11:39:01

That will lead to mass redundancies.

Or are you O'Leary?

NameChange7383 Tue 12-May-20 11:41:44

I like your optimism, here’s hoping you’re right, but I don’t think so. DH has already lost his job in the petrochemical industry. It’s not about whether they can afford to keep him, more about the fact that the very rich board members won’t be feeling very confident about the global economy so will scale back as much as possible so that their millions and billions don’t diminish too much. I’m not as bitter as I sound, that’s just the reality of it.

user1493494961 Tue 12-May-20 11:44:22

I think he could fill planes now with people who would still want to go on holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »