Talk

Advanced search

Glasses steaming up when wear a mask

(22 Posts)
FatKate Tue 12-May-20 08:24:42

Anyone found how to prevent this? I hear a tight fitting mask at the bridge of the nose is the way to go - anyone got any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 12-May-20 08:48:40

try to squish a folded tissue between your mouth and the top of the mask. It helps a little

undercoveraessedai Tue 12-May-20 08:50:45

Following!

DottyWott Tue 12-May-20 09:12:33

Yes it needs to fit well at bridge of nose. Try a pipe cleaner in a home made mask

Iwantacookie Tue 12-May-20 09:12:52

Try shaving foam. Works for bathroom mirrors.

ItWasntMyFault Tue 12-May-20 09:36:14

I se anti fog spray designed for swimming goggles

ItWasntMyFault Tue 12-May-20 09:37:07

* use

FatKate Tue 12-May-20 10:31:31

@ItWasntMyFault does that work well? What sort of mask are you using?

ItWasntMyFault Tue 12-May-20 10:40:29

It's a homemade one so not perfect by any means. I just wear it to the supermarket. I've only worn it twice so far but the anti fog spray has worked.

SophieB100 Tue 12-May-20 10:46:27

Glad I'm not the only one!
I don't wear a mask, but use a long scarf wrapped round. By the time I'd queued outside Tesco this morning, my glasses were so steamed up I couldn't see properly to shop! grin so I pushed them up to the top of my head and squinted my way around the store! Not ideal, is it?
I do sympathise OP.

juggler82 Tue 12-May-20 11:40:29

My job involves wearing masks sometimes (not a new thing, always has done) - I'm yet to find a solution! One of many reasons I detest them.

FatKate Tue 12-May-20 16:44:08

Well I just had to go to the shop and wore a mask, one of the disposable ones and it was rats, I kept steaming up and I am too blind without. Took it off the second I got out. I tried my scarf too but worse.

VimtoCordial Tue 12-May-20 16:59:07

Same problem here!

MissFlite Tue 12-May-20 17:21:44

I saw a video where they used a straightened out paper clip in the nose part to shape it better.

Socksontheradiatoragain Tue 12-May-20 17:26:06

I have a home made fabric mask with a bit of paper clip wire to shape it round my nose, and it helps a lot with the glasses steaming up issue.

BritWifeinUSA Tue 12-May-20 17:48:29

Stitch a piece of flexible wire into the seam that goes over the bridge of your nose. That’s what we have been doing here (masks have been a requirement for some weeks here).

Bol87 Tue 12-May-20 17:53:04

Yesss. I had to wear one to see the midwife & it was a nightmare! How do people who wear glasses work?! 🙈

ChestyNut Tue 12-May-20 17:54:39

Rub glasses with shaving foam.
We’ve done our work goggles, worked a treat!

jcyclops Tue 12-May-20 22:06:59

Surgical tape along the top edge of the mask works for a while.

Hadjab Wed 13-May-20 18:11:49

I find it fogs up if it's not high enough on the bridge of my nose - try hoiking it up further.

Dilbertian Wed 13-May-20 19:33:11

Wire in the mask to shape it to your nose. Really pinch the bridge hard - make it pointier than the bridge of your nose.

It could be the shape of my face (broad cheekbones) but I find the misting far less of a problem if the mask angles down from my nose, rather than sitting straight across my face. I cross the ties to achieve this, with the lower ribbons going up to tie over my ponytail and the upper ribbons going down to tie below it. If your mask has ear-loops, perhaps you could try twisting them?

Make sure you're breathing out through your nose. Mouth-breathing makes your glasses steam up more. It releases more moisture, I think.

Breath out gently, don't pant or huff.

Before you put the mask on, warm your specs up by huffing on them as if you were about to clean them. The misting is much worse on cold lenses.

VimtoCordial Thu 14-May-20 13:47:16

I used my mask today and stuffed a bit of rolled up tissue either side of my nose and it worked a treat! So, I recommend that option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »