Talk

Advanced search

Antibody test study

(6 Posts)
MrsCrumbs Mon 11-May-20 22:42:08

Have you been invited? I received a letter informing that i had been randomly selected for a Imperial college study and that if i sign up they'll send me a swab test.

Did anyone else receive this letter? Hope it's not a scam.

OP’s posts: |
Callybrid Mon 11-May-20 22:51:13

I haven’t received it but sounds like this study:

www.imperial.ac.uk/news/197217/home-testing-coronavirus-track-levels-infection/

Is there a number to call? Usually talking to someone good to check something’s what it seems to be.

Will you do it? I’d be quite pleased to be selected (although looks like it might be limited to England, not UK wide)

Mustbetimeforachange Mon 11-May-20 22:53:59

It's an antigen (PCR) test at the moment, not antibodies. It will only detect if you currently have it, not if you've had it in the past (that bit of the study will be fine on people known to have had it).

ozark Mon 11-May-20 23:10:45

it's to check if you currently have the virus. my son received it today as well

ComtesseDeSpair Mon 11-May-20 23:21:25

A colleague has had the invitation to take part in the Imperial antigen study Callybrid mentioned - does your letter not give details of who’s running it, what it is and contact details? If it doesn’t then it’s possibly a scam (although if they’re not offering to sell you something or promise you an immunity certificate I can’t quite see what’s in it for a scammer.)

I think the Imperial study will be interesting - an increasing number of people are testing positive whilst being entirely asymptomatic. If more people have had Coronavirus without knowing it than we currently think then it’s a gamechanger.

BunsyGirl Mon 11-May-20 23:37:52

My son (age 9) has been selected and so has one of my friends. It’s not an antibody test though. It’s an antigen test - that means that they are looking at whether you have the virus at the time of the test.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »