Talk

Advanced search

I don't want to go back to work

(34 Posts)
DateandTime Mon 11-May-20 10:32:03

Why would I? I'm one of the lucky ones, wfh with a very reduced workload and no real fear of job insecurity. Getting back into a routine to do a proper job again is going to take some getting used to.

However I know the country needs to do "something" to get back in its feet. I know with so many people dependant on the state, we can't carry on like this, I know that the poverty that will follow will cause immeasurable hardship (and loss of life) and that only worsens the longer it continues.

Despite enjoying my life atm, I'm not going to argue that restrictions need to stay in place indefinitely to preserve it.

I do wonder how many of the people insisting that we need to stay as we were are in a similar happy position to me?

NameChange7383 Mon 11-May-20 10:33:43

I would assume so.

DH and I have both lost our jobs. Hopefully you can therefore understand why I don’t feel the same way.

SparklingLime Mon 11-May-20 10:39:22

Not many people are lucky enough to be in your position whatever they advocate, as you must know. Many of the people I’ve seen most vociferously asking people to stay at home are A&E and intensive care consultants, who are certainly not in your position.

Bleepbloopblarp Mon 11-May-20 10:42:00

I’m interested to know what profession you are in with no fear of job insecurity?
If we have an economic depression, no one will be safe. It will filter down - it’s like a house of cards.

NameChange7383 Mon 11-May-20 10:55:14

I’m interested to know what profession you are in with no fear of job insecurity? thinking perhaps OP is a little naive here... lots of people seem shocked that I’ve actually lost my job and that it’s not just magically on hold until the virus disappears. There must be millions more like me.

Hopingtobeamum Mon 11-May-20 11:02:00

IMO a large number of people who haven't lost their jobs will be at risk of losing them at some point in the future.
Most companies (ours included) are bleeding cash, literally bleeding it week on week.
I understand you may not want to go back to work but it's more of an economic necessity.
I'm still working, full hours and full pay (for the moment anyway) and am hugely grateful for it. I don't know how long this will continue though. Every day is full of uncertainty in my eyes.

noraclavicle Mon 11-May-20 11:03:29

Nope, not in a similar happy position. Don’t want to have to get back out there, but I can’t do my job from home, have to use public transport and I live in a borough in the top 3 for Covid death rates. Just waiting to hear when furlough will be cut short.

SparklingLime Mon 11-May-20 11:14:11

That is such a hard situation, @noraclavicle. flowers (<- bloody useless flowers, but really feel for you.)

DateandTime Mon 11-May-20 11:14:39

Its education and yes you're right a dire economic situation could well affect it long term but I'm not in the situation many unfortunate people find themselves in now.

I don't think some people read to the end of my post. Personally, I could live like this for a long time but I absolutely understand that for the greater good we need to start getting back to normal.

dalrympy Mon 11-May-20 11:16:15

I don't know.

I'm officially on furlough but it's been made clear that there won't be a job to go back to.

So while this goes on I continue to get paid (80%)

I'm worried about how the job market will be and I'll be one of many many looking for work.

TooTrueToBeGood Mon 11-May-20 11:19:53

I don't think anyone can bank on job security. The government has racked up a massive amount of debt supporting furlough and other virus-related measures. They are also going to see a marked decline in tax revenue which will continue well after lockdown is eventually lifted. At some point, public sector budgets will inevitably be cut and I very much doubt education will somehow escape cuts.

Stuckforthefourthtime Mon 11-May-20 11:21:36

thinking perhaps OP is a little naive here... lots of people seem shocked that I’ve actually lost my job and that it’s not just magically on hold until the virus disappears. There must be millions more like me

I think that quite a few of the people calling for extended lockdown and schools closed until September are being naive about what's going to happen at the end of lockdown - the most enthusiastic advocates that I know in person are retired, furloughed, WFH comfortably, public servants or sahms with husbands doing any of the above. All of these people are likely to be hugely hit by the massive recession to come. Many furloughed people's jobs are already redundant, even if they don't know it yet.

The answer is clearly not to open everything back up, as the real issue here is the pandemic not the lockdown - but do think that a lot of posters have some magical thinking that if we only lock down hard enough, it will all go away. Even successful NZ is going to be massively impacted over the coming year, due to travel quarantines and the wider world economy.

foggybits Mon 11-May-20 11:22:00

I do think some jobs will be ok, teachers, docs & nurses, police etc. but wages may be frozen, overtime reduced etc.

Footywife Mon 11-May-20 11:31:20

I'm so happy everything is roses round the door for you @DateandTime.

Some of us have lost/will lose jobs. Some of us are working our backsides off at home whilst the rest of the staff are furloughed. Most people are worried about their future.

But I'm glad all is well with you...

The80sweregreat Mon 11-May-20 11:31:26

Tax rises and austerity beckons again : they just don't want people to know this part ! It will be awful and affect everyone. The rich maybe able to absorb the costs a bit more but even they will have restrictions on their life even if it's just a cancelled holiday or not buying a new car this year!
Lots of people are in your position and will keep their jobs, but millions won't sad it's not your fault but there will be a lot of jealousy around too. Especially anyone dropping to one wage as well or ones with small children.
I am dreading the fall out more than getting this awful disease. It's so grim and heartbreaking and will go on for a long time.

noraclavicle Mon 11-May-20 11:37:57

Thanks SparklingLime!

Bluntness100 Mon 11-May-20 11:38:37

Op, I think it’s very clear many are basically living their best lives due to this, no commute, no school run, no work or reduced work, there has been many threads on it,

Where you differ is you’re not screaming for it to continue and pretending it’s fear. Or posting “I’d like another three weeks please” and being honest about it

The tone changed on here today, from I’m not going back and foot stamping to how will it work then, like people were thinking “ oh well I tried, best get on with it”.

HappyHammy Mon 11-May-20 11:43:08

If you're financially secure and wont claim benefits then there will be plenty of people who dont want to go back to work especially if they dont really enjoy it and dont need the money.

Eeyoresstickhouse Mon 11-May-20 11:44:04

My husband sat in a team meeting video call last week and a member of staff who always works from home (that is her norm) had what only can be described as a temper tantrum that they weren't furloughing her (they take public money) and that all her friends were having a much better time than she was as she was still having to work. My husband was gob smacked to say the least. The manager nipped it in the bud and said "I'm sure the millions of the unemployed that will come from this would be grateful for your job if you don't want to do it anymore" and added a head tilt.

The absolutely entitledness of this astounded me. And I'm still shocked.

Sandybval Mon 11-May-20 11:46:28

If your work load is heavily reduced I won't count on that job security. Lots of organisations are companies are releasing that efficiencies can be made without real detriment to their outputs.

DateandTime Mon 11-May-20 11:46:44

I'm not sure where that comes from Footy. I've said I recognise the situation others are in which is why I know I can't carry on as I am.

Waxonwaxoff0 Mon 11-May-20 11:47:53

It's good that you're honest OP.

I'm not in a great position. I've been on furlough since March and although my workplace is reopening again today, we've got nowhere near enough orders to have everyone back in. If business hasn't picked up by the time furlough ends that's my job gone, and as the most junior staff member in my office I'll be the first one out the door.

I live in a flat with no outdoor space with 6yo DS and we are climbing the walls. At least the new announcement of unlimited exercise means we can go out more often.

I'm desperate for some kind of normality.

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Mon 11-May-20 11:55:21

I am so grateful i go out to work, take my mind off the virus!

lazylinguist Mon 11-May-20 12:07:15

Despite enjoying my life atm, I'm not going to argue that restrictions need to stay in place indefinitely to preserve it.

Exactly the same here.

I'm not sure why people are being snarky to the OP. Surely the whole point she was making was that some people are saying they want a longer lockdown not because of safety, but because they are enjoying being off work. Whereas the OP is saying that she doesn't want lockdown to carry on longer than necessary even though she's enjoying it, because she's well aware how selfish that would be wrt other people's livelihoods, mental health etc. That's exactly how I feel too.

Solina Mon 11-May-20 12:09:43

I also don't really want to go back and I hope mine and OH employers will allow us to carry on working from home as long as possible as we are perfectly able to do so. It would help those who can't as there would be less people out and about using public transport etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »