Talk

Advanced search

Shouldn't our public figures be wearing facemasks more to encourage their use?

(19 Posts)
jobhunter7 Sun 10-May-20 21:57:12

Shouldn't our public figures be wearing facemasks more to encourage their use?

OP’s posts: |
Sparklingbrook Sun 10-May-20 21:59:28

If they are making speeches probably not. Who do you have in mind? Has it finally been proved that they are effective?

jobhunter7 Sun 10-May-20 22:01:17

The evidence does seem to be more in favour.

jobhunter7 Sun 10-May-20 22:01:44

foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/06/slovakia-coronavirus-pandemic-public-trust-media/

megletthesecond Sun 10-May-20 22:02:01

The problem is that there aren't many available. They need to go to key workers and not the general public.
I bought some in Feb and am making extra now. When I return to shops I'll be wearing them.

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-May-20 22:02:24

Who would you like to see wearing one?

jobhunter7 Sun 10-May-20 22:04:05

Boris was photographed walking in the park without one... okay admittedly the park is a safer place than a tube... but it may help if such figures were leading by example...

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-May-20 22:07:04

I don't think they are necessary in a park either. Maybe at the shops ,but wouldn't imagine Boris goes to the shops.
I don't think they are easy to get hold of at the moment as @megletthesecond said.

Utterlydespairing Sun 10-May-20 22:07:22

No because they are pointless

lockedown Sun 10-May-20 22:08:27

I think they definitely should. For everyone saying that there is shortage, there is plenty of cloth masks available which aren't perfect but they help.

jobhunter7 Sun 10-May-20 22:10:45

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+a+face+mask

You can make your own.

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-May-20 22:19:55

Apart from Boris which other public figures need to be seen wearing them though?
I believe I saw Harry and Meghan wearing them a few weeks ago. Not really practical for TV presenters etc.

ItsSpittingEverybodyIn Sun 10-May-20 22:41:40

I can just imagine Boris doing his speech with a mask on, we'd understand even less!

ThisIsMeOrIsIt Sun 10-May-20 22:49:21

Yeah, I'd struggle to hear any speech on live TV if they were wearing masks. I was watching Boris on iPlayer and couldn't get subtitles and there was no sign language interpreter either, so I relied on being able to see his face and lips especially.

DahliaDay Sun 10-May-20 22:53:35

ugh really?? a home-made 'mask' thats going to be full of germs within ten minutes??

how does that help?

PlanDeRaccordement Sun 10-May-20 22:54:09

No.
Cloth masks are worse than useless, they not only catch pathogens but provide perfect environment for them to multiply and transmit to the wearer.
If you’re going to wear a mask, wear a real one with filters and actually follow protocols to stay safe.

lljkk Sun 10-May-20 23:09:15

There are (at least) 2 people on MN absolutely obsessed with pushing their favourite covid19 response actions.

OP who keeps posting about masks. The same video everywhere recurringly on many threads, and now this thread.

And another poster who posts constantly about vitamin D studies. LWsomething.

So both of them will throw in a post about their hobby horse issue whenever they think they can shoehorn it into a thread. Bit like that poster on menopause who insists doctors know nothing but she knows everything about menopause (the answer is always HRT).

If I pay £5/month could I mute you all??

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-May-20 23:56:58

@lljkk Thanks for the heads up. An AS was very revealing...

cadburyegg Mon 11-May-20 00:17:21

I thought they were only proven to be effective if you were a health worker working with covid+ patients?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »