Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been given a pulse oximeter by 111?

(8 Posts)
Thinkle Sun 10-May-20 16:12:16

What advice where you given in terms of how to use it and when to call them?

OP’s posts: |
Hippofrog Sun 10-May-20 17:06:40

I thought the guideline was to call if it regularly stops below 96%. I have one I don’t think you need instructions, you just pop it on your finger?

Thinkle Sun 10-May-20 17:19:42

Sorry, I wasn’t clear (let’s blame covid brain). Should you be sitting up in an optimal breathing position to take a reading? I’m often below 95 when I’m propped up in bed and lower if I’ve just climbed the stairs, but can get a reading above 95 if I sit up straight for a bit.
I know I should have asked the doctor today when they checked in with me this morning, he didn’t react to average 95 yesterday though.

Hippofrog Sun 10-May-20 17:31:47

If it’s consistently below 96%(eg most of the time) call them back. Hope you are ok x

Unravellingslowly Mon 11-May-20 06:55:37

Walk a couple of lengths of your largest room- or walk around the garden-then do a reading. If it’s low phone someone and query silent hypoxia.

Scootingthebreeze Mon 11-May-20 07:00:29

The instructions that came with mine is to just take the reading with your hand resting on something. Stay still during reading.

As a side note it's useful to take a reading when you've been calm and not exerting yourself but equally useful to take one after exertion to see your reading then in case your oxy level dropping significantly

ArriettyJones Mon 11-May-20 07:01:45

Walk a couple of lengths of your largest room- or walk around the garden-then do a reading. If it’s low phone someone and query silent hypoxia.

Is that the medical standard?

Thinkle Mon 11-May-20 08:42:22

Hi all, thank you for your replies. My levels seem to be up a bit today which is good.

@Unravellingslowly this is what I was asked to do when on the phone to the doctor yesterday. 40 steps around my room at a reasonable pace and re-measure

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »