Talk

Advanced search

How has my NDN suddenly reappeared from the Mediterranean

(25 Posts)
CafetiereCoffee Fri 08-May-20 21:27:03

My NDN usually spends the winter on his boat. He was due back in March but was clearly delayed.

I saw him today. How did he get into the country?? How did he get round the lockdown rules? Travelling to/from a secondary residence (even if it is a boat) is not advised.

I am cross. A) he has come I tot he U.K. from another country B) he has travelled through the U.K.

Yes, I could ask him directly but he is not very friendly and has taken his NDN (on the other side) to court over a boundary issue over a tree. I’d like to keep my distance, especially as I’ve been in my own house for 7 bloody weeks.

One rule for some.

Sort, his is more of a rant than anything else.

OP’s posts: |
LilacTree1 Fri 08-May-20 21:42:41

Er, I hate to have to break it to you OP but they let people in from abroad and have done all through lockdown.

I’d say repatriation flight but he could probably have come home earlier.

BBBear Fri 08-May-20 21:45:26

I love near (ish) to Heathrow and there are still plenty of planes in the sky.

LilacTree1 Fri 08-May-20 21:46:12

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s right, but nothing about this lockdown has been right.

HairyFloppins Fri 08-May-20 21:48:51

The borders have never been shut have they?

CafetiereCoffee Fri 08-May-20 21:54:16

This is why none of this makes sense. We have police patrolling our local park to make sure that no one get in (it’s closed), I live in one of the regions where there are lowest number of cases and yet people can wander around airports.
🤦‍♀️

OP’s posts: |
BilboBercow Fri 08-May-20 21:55:12

Like others have said, flights aren't grounded, the borders aren't shut, repatriation flights in particular. I would imagine travelling from the flight you've just gotten off to the place you live is considered an essential journey

midnightstar66 Fri 08-May-20 22:05:53

There are no restrictions to people coming in to the Uk. Rightly or wrongly they have never closed our borders like many countries. Did you think we had?

audweb Fri 08-May-20 22:11:58

People can still fly as long as flights are leaving from that country. Some countries have shut their borders, we were not one of them.

WyfOfBathe Fri 08-May-20 22:16:36

Borders aren't shut. At the minute we have more cases than a lot of other countries, so people coming from those countries aren't making our country a lot more dangerous.

LilacTree1 Fri 08-May-20 22:18:45

Oh, you’re also in an area with the park closed? I thought government should they should open them again?

Fecking state of it.

tara66 Fri 08-May-20 22:19:16

Just ask him - why not?

LilacTree1 Fri 08-May-20 22:20:05

Why bother asking, the answer is clear.

Topseyt Fri 08-May-20 22:20:40

He isn't banned from coming into the country. It may not be as easy as it was to get on a plane, but there are still some repatriation flights.

MitziK Fri 08-May-20 22:22:04

Not much risk of infection on a boat. He's sailed back, moored, gone through the usual checks and he's come home. That's all.

SonjaMorgan Fri 08-May-20 22:35:44

People have been flying in the whole time. Our government and media is a joke.

ABagOfPopcorn Sat 09-May-20 00:28:36

Repatriation flights are still happening and will be happening very regularly. My DH is stuck in the Middle East and he has confirmed they have set up flights for people who need to get back for emergencies only.

thewinkingprawn Sat 09-May-20 00:31:26

Given the infection and death rate in the UK, your NDN is probably more worried about coming back than we should be about having him. And what everyone else said - flights are still running and he is clearly entitled to one.

CoronelSuarez Sat 09-May-20 00:42:41

DP flew from the US to here a few weeks ago. The plane was nearly empty though.

maddy68 Sat 09-May-20 00:45:33

Travel hasn't stopped into the country.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 09-May-20 00:48:12

He was probably getting here before they bring in quarantine rules

safariboot Sat 09-May-20 01:05:38

Travelling to/from a secondary residence (even if it is a boat) is not advised.

Returning from overseas, however, IS advised. Your neighbour could either have sailed back to the UK, or docked his boat in another country and travelled overland or by air. Either a forced change of plans from sailing home to flying/driving/train home, or delays to said flights/etc could account for much of the reason he's only just got back. And for all you know he might have self-isolated in a UK port for the last 2 weeks.

People aren't supposed to go to second homes or holiday homes. But if someone's currently on a yacht, or in a caravan or stuff like that, that's not meant as a permanent residence and there should be no problem returning to your permanent residence.

safariboot Sat 09-May-20 01:06:21

a forced change of plans from sailing home to flying/driving/train home

I meant to say the other way round.

lyralalala Sat 09-May-20 01:38:43

People are allowed to travel home. In fact they've been advised to travel home. Planes are still landing every day.

Apparently they are considering bringing in a 14 day quarantine for people arriving, and saying that they have to quarantine at a private residence so basically no tourists - can't imagine why any would come according to the BBC, but that will no doubt be challenged by the business world.

lyralalala Sat 09-May-20 01:41:00

It's also really illogical that there are no checks or anything. My cousin came home on a repatriation flight. Landed at Heathrow with no checks. Then flew from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Then got the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow then finally the bus from Glasgow city centre to his home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »