Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say that I feel lonelier in lockdown

(3 Posts)
hejthanks Thu 07-May-20 08:29:29

Hope that this post isn't upsetting for anyone.

It's struck me that in lockdown I am actually quite lonely. I am very fortunate to have a great friend in DP who I live with. But what I haven't had during lockdown is a best friend who I might be in daily contact with or those big group zoom calls that seem to be all the rage at the moment.

Before lockdown I had some health issues and I have social anxiety but I do make a lot of effort to see people and am always the one organising the get togethers for friends and keeping in contact with people. But now it occurs to me that whilst I have friends, I don't have people who are all that invested in me.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense here, I saw a post earlier on Twitter about people being more connected than ever due to cups of tea in the street and long dedicated zoom calls... but I certainly don't feel this way. Does anyone else feel similar?daffodil

OP’s posts: |
MidsomerMum Thu 07-May-20 08:35:02

I’ve felt both. I think I have spent more time talking to friends and family who I don’t often speak to. But also, I’ve been the one that has instigated that.

Even with DH and DD here there have been times I’ve said to DH, I’m feeling really lonely, we’ve not actually had a proper conversation for three days and I’ve really struggled with that.

My town has been really suspicious of everyone too - eyes down in shops, god forbid you smile at someone etc. I’ve found that tough on the few occasions I’ve been out. From speaking to others that’s not been unusual, but what has increased is interactions on social media to fill that void.

Mishymoshy78 Thu 07-May-20 09:57:45

I think times like this shows you where you stand in the peckibg order and who gives a shit and who doesnt. Take stock of your friendships and when this is over expand your friendships but dont give more than you get.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »