Talk

Advanced search

Will there be a lot of redundancy's after furlough has ended

(9 Posts)
lightandshade Wed 06-May-20 22:33:42

Currently on furlough in the manufacturing industry my position is in sales. most of my colleagues are also furloughed with just skeleton staff left working from home.

I'm starting to worry about furlough ending and what will happen after.

Do you think furlough is just buying time to redundancy?

Also do you think furloughed staff are at more risk of redundancy than the staff kept on?

OP’s posts: |
coco123456789 Wed 06-May-20 22:35:53

I guess it will depend on if your job is redundant, or if work can pick up when lockdown is eased / lifted and the work will be there for you to do again?

Tentativesteps133 Wed 06-May-20 22:47:24

Yes, yes and yes unfortunately in many industries.

Sinuhe Wed 06-May-20 22:49:05

My whole department is on furlough... hopefully we will all be back soon.

EngTech Wed 06-May-20 22:50:09

The Government funded by Tax Payers can’t keep paying 80% of people’s wages so expect a reduction tapering the amount down

Honeyroar Wed 06-May-20 22:50:55

Yes for me. I’m furloughed but my company has just given us notice for redundancy.

MilkNoSugars Wed 06-May-20 23:03:43

It depends on lots of things eg

Whether furlough continues- if it does, the government may need to narrow the criteria as it must be costing them a fortune.
What industry you work in, what job you do, whether business is likely to pick up again
What support will be provided to businesses- tax breaks, grants etc
How lockdown is eased- whether businesses can start production/ services again and how quickly

Etc etc

But ultimately yes I think many businesses will simply not be able to continue at all or will need to operate with fewer staff so there will be an increased number of redundancies.

oochie Wed 06-May-20 23:10:38

I think so, hence why I didn't agree with threads saying furloughed people were living the life of riley, etc. If I was furloughed I would be saving as much as possible of my wage incase of redundancy.

I really don't see people going back to spending the way they were before Covid. Hopefully Im wrong.

lightandshade Thu 07-May-20 09:24:40

Thanks everyone, my company was thriving before but I can't call if it's going to be able to get through this, we are definitely saving every penny incase the worst was to happen.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »