Talk

Advanced search

Catch Coronavirus Twice

(33 Posts)
ClimbDad Wed 06-May-20 20:37:39

A friend of mine is an emergency doctor. She got Covid19 at the end of March, recovered after two weeks and went back to work. She came down with symptoms again on Friday and was confirmed positive today.

Opinion seems divided on reinfection. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it themselves?

OP’s posts: |
Gunpowder Wed 06-May-20 20:42:42

Are you a journalist?

Anecdotally it seems as if convalescence takes ages with Covid and it seems to come in phases.

DahliaDay Wed 06-May-20 20:43:53

so you're saying theres no immunity? interesting

Gunpowder Wed 06-May-20 20:44:34

Sorry, posted too soon!

Did your friend test negative in between the positive tests?

Wannabangbang Wed 06-May-20 20:46:00

Your friend could still have it from March

WinterIsGone Wed 06-May-20 20:47:14

Did she have a positive test in March?

Bargebill19 Wed 06-May-20 20:59:47

If she tested positive twice ...
a) tests not that reliable.
b) longer recovery period than originally thought.
c) you don’t make antibodies in which case what the point of a vaccine?

I suspect there are other possibilities - I’m not a medic or scientist.

Bargebill19 Wed 06-May-20 21:00:32

Only suggestions as to what might have occurred -
D) never had it in the first place ?

Spied Wed 06-May-20 21:02:47

Was she tested in March?

ItsAllForYou Wed 06-May-20 21:11:16

Was she tested at the end of March?

ZombieFan Wed 06-May-20 21:12:35

She never fully recovered. Plenty of people get better, then worse then better... It can go on for a really long time.

ClimbDad Wed 06-May-20 21:20:16

She tested positive at the end of March, but never got a negative test in between. Could just be waves of a long infection.

ZombieFan Wed 06-May-20 21:22:36

The BBC news had a story this morning of a man who had waves of relapses for 2 months before he recovered.

Tangledyarn Wed 06-May-20 21:24:16

I started with symptoms at the beginning of march and there have been lots of ups and downs but still have some symptoms now so I think its more likely that she has the same infection, but its definitely not clear that we can't get it twice yet, which is a real worry as I'm asthmatic and still really struggling with my breathing so I feel super vulnerable now.

emptyplinth Wed 06-May-20 21:24:29

How often was she tested? Most likely that she still has it from March.

squiglet111 Wed 06-May-20 21:24:40

So it's been 5 weeks....she probably still had it in her system and it never went again.

Keepdistance Wed 06-May-20 21:29:20

They think in S korea that it tests positive still after a while but that the virus isnt live. As in its a fault with how the test works. Finding the fragments.

But i did see in china one of the repositives did have symptoms again. Theres a man in china quarantined for months for never consistently testing negative.
Also re sars1 there was apparently a person who never cleared the virus they had lymphoma and eventually died of it.

Has the dr been taking vitamin d?
I would recommend to try to clear the virus.

However with the possibility of reactivation or reinfection/never immunity is why the gov should have been much more careful. And definitely should be testing positive and recovered. We seem to be the only place that has loads of people wandering about who could still be infectious. As a minimum 7 days is very very unlikely to be enough.
And returning elderly to care homes still positive.

Does she have any immune issues. Have a look at the 30+ lungs threads. Definitely people feeling better /worse for months.

Keepdistance Wed 06-May-20 21:33:06

Also raises huge issues re shielding people as
- they can never be safe until a vax
- if they go to a health care setting very likely to get infected if hcp are either contagious a lot longer or reactivation
- also need to point out that if my dp came round we could technically have covid on the packaging in the freezer

Keepdistance Wed 06-May-20 21:33:06

Also raises huge issues re shielding people as
- they can never be safe until a vax
- if they go to a health care setting very likely to get infected if hcp are either contagious a lot longer or reactivation
- also need to point out that if my dp came round we could technically have covid on the packaging in the freezer

Hagisonthehill Wed 06-May-20 21:37:37

She was lucky to be tested end of March as at that time you only got tested if admitted to hospital.Staff here with symptoms couldn't get tested that early.

GenderApostate19 Wed 06-May-20 22:01:48

blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/05/05/paul-garner-people-who-have-a-more-protracted-illness-need-help-to-understand-and-cope-with-the-constantly-shifting-bizarre-symptoms/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

ClimbDad Wed 06-May-20 22:12:15

Thanks. No immune issues that I’m aware of. When the South Koreans first started reporting the retest positives, they said 63 of the first 137 had become symptomatic again. I’ve seen the 40++ thread on here and lots of people on social media saying it can drag on.

Completely agree the government should have done more. We still don’t know enough about this virus. And still no guidance on how long to isolate for after recovery.

ZombieFan Wed 06-May-20 22:51:05

And still no guidance on how long to isolate for after recovery

Huh? The advice for ages has been to isolate for at least seven days but also until the fever has gone.

fallfallfall Wed 06-May-20 23:03:43

i've had chicken pox 3 times and despite immunizations and boosters can't get my rubella titre up either.
i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the odd person can catch this twice.

ClimbDad Wed 06-May-20 23:19:32

But lots of people don’t get a fever. Stomach problems, cough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »