Talk

Advanced search

Cerebral Palsy and covid

(6 Posts)
SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Wed 06-May-20 19:34:38

Hi all

Just wondering if there is anyone who can help me with some clarification on this.

My fourteen old dd has cerebral palsy. It affects her mobility only. She is autistic also but speech etc is normal. She walks with splints and two walking sticks. She can do personal tasks herself.

Obviously she is on the vulnerable list but Im struggling to find any information as to why cerebral palsy is considered a risk for covid?

OP’s posts: |
reasonwith Wed 06-May-20 19:45:52

My son has cerebral palsy like your daughter. From my understanding, as CP is usually caused by starvation of oxygen in the brain, it is possible that those with CP have a higher risk due to their posture of their body within lung capacity. The overall risk isn't high, however some with CP may have developed respiratory problems. I think they've applied more of a general advice as everyone with CP is different.

Ginger153 Wed 06-May-20 19:52:40

Have a look at cerebral palsy Scotland website. Range of articles there explaining everything.

SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Wed 06-May-20 20:20:37

Thank you both so much

OP’s posts: |
Ginger153 Wed 06-May-20 20:40:38

Good luck. It's not easy getting answers as everyone different.

Here's the link about risk https://cerebralpalsyscotland.org.uk/navigating-the-coronavirus-guidance-am-i-more-at-risk-because-i-have-cerebral-palsy/

And big article of advice here

https://cerebralpalsyscotland.org.uk/coronavirus-covid-19-and-cerebral-palsy/

pontypridd Wed 06-May-20 21:20:00

My daughter is 13 and has CP.

No experts seem to know much about this virus. Facts are always changing, it seems to me.

But I’d read that it’s possible CV affects the nervous system which of course is connected to the brain. So Ive imagined that a weakness or damage to the brain will make a person more susceptible to that aspect of the virus.

It’s all such a mystery though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »