Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work in a hospital able to talk about CV19 patients end of life care?

(7 Posts)
HJ40 Wed 06-May-20 10:38:08

Sorry that this really isn't very upbeat, but I've just found out that a close relative has contracted CV19 whilst in hospital for something else and I fear the worst. He's my Dad's cousin, but I refer to him as my uncle and am close to his daughter, my [second] cousin.

He's elderly with underlying conditions. We're devastated he's picked this up, and it's also hard not to be angry as his whole household had been shielding. I know everyone in hospital is doing what they can, but you go there to get better, not get more ill.

Sorry, I'm deviating. The reason for my post is I'm wondering how he will now be looked after? Particularly if he doesn't make it, it troubles me greatly that I assume my aunt and cousin won't be able to be with him? They can't visit at present. I'm wondering if anyone with first hand experience can tell me more about what's happening in hospitals? I am praying he is getting whatever treatment can be given and he gets through it, but would prefer to know the reality in case of the worst.

OP’s posts: |
AmeliaTaylor Wed 06-May-20 10:47:38

This is third hand so obviously I will defer to others on the thread who say they’re clinicians, but DH is a doctor. I asked him what the end is like for covid patients and he said it’s actually very peaceful when dying in hospital, not like drowning or suffocating at all. They have morphine constantly. He said usually morphine is on an hourly basis in most end of life protocols but for covid it’s pretty much every 10-15m they’re given more. To do with something complex around how the disease causes some kind of urgent drive for oxygen in patients or something. So as opiates cause respiratory rate to slow down and respiratory depression they give plenty so the patient doesn’t feel the urge to gasp. Along with the sedation and euphoric effect of the morphine I wouldn’t have thought it’s a bad way to go. He said most aren’t even aware they’re close to dying.

It put my mind at ease about how it would feel to die from covid in hospital.

Ponoka7 Wed 06-May-20 10:55:03

It's as described. It's the same for people who are at the end of life stage for many conditions, particularly lung cancer, those with pneumonia.

There's been a lot of outrage on FB about the use of a sedative but it's a terrible death without it.

Dannn Wed 06-May-20 10:57:24

As above, and where are work they are allowing one family member to visit when a patient is dying, but not sure if this is the same elsewhere. So sorry.

RunningAwaywiththeCircus Wed 06-May-20 11:03:12

Same as @Dannn here - one family member with PPE can be present for short spaces of time.

I am sorry this has happened to your uncle. I hope there is a proper investigation into how hospitals are managing the infection risk. My friend with cancer was admitted for a transfusion but they put her in a Covid ward because she had a cough. Only DH making a fuss (he’s a consultant) got her a side room.

Her Covid test was negative, but she was exposed to massive unnecessary risk.

HJ40 Wed 06-May-20 11:58:37

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know about the sedation and that there's a chance someone might be able to be with him, if necessary.

I'm trying not to be angry nor dwell on the 'what if?' aspect, but it's so frustrating that after all the hard work at home, he caught it in the hospital. Can't see how they'd ever be able to investigate it though.

OP’s posts: |
LaurieFairyCake Wed 06-May-20 12:05:28

I'm so pleased you asked this OP as I have been carrying around this nightmare thought since the beginning when it was said people died gasping and drowning sad - 2 things I'm frightened of.

Thank you thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in