Talk

Advanced search

Work and health conditions- moving forward

(16 Posts)
Orangeblossom78 Tue 05-May-20 19:58:06

So, they are talking about keeping some people shielded from risky situations moving forward, has anyone any idea how this works for those people who have not had a shielding letter but who are on the list?

It seems quite confusing to me. DH has not had a letter but is on two Immunosuppressants. Methotrexate and Humira. For Chrohn's disease.

On the Chrohn's website it says Moderate risk- enhanced social distancing, so I think that is not as severe risk as Shielding.

I'm a bit confused as to the situation with work - would be be in the group not allowed to work? His workplace is manufacturing, so he can't work from home.

Just wondered if any others were in the same boat or had any idea about it. I'm guessing as he is self employed it might be up to him at the end of the day.

OP’s posts: |
Littlemiss74 Tue 05-May-20 20:12:23

I am in those same drugs but for RA and I received a letter from rheumatology advising but not insisting on shielding. I showed my employer the letter and they are happy for me to continue for the time being until the end of June and then review.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 05-May-20 20:22:47

Ok thanks Littlemiss. He will just go in anyway, I know, but wondered about it myself.

Orangeblossom78 Wed 06-May-20 10:18:29

The other issue here is that is these people are to be kept off work how will that work in terms of pay. Benefits such as PIP and ESA are very specific and related to e.g. needing prompting and care, many people in the shielding groups would not necessarily need such support but not be allowed to work because of the nature of their conditions or treatment.

Such benefits can be non means tested but there are also UC and tax credits. In our situation if self employed profit falls we do get a little tax credits anyway so that would increase, bit it would still be tight. I worry about others in this situation.

UC is for new claims now so it could be available and I'm guessing they may add a health related element to that for these people- perhaps- and also cut things like the minimum income floor for the self employed as they have done already but for a longer time perhaps.

I guess will just need to keep an eye on developments.

Littlemiss74 Wed 06-May-20 11:30:00

Sorry I meant to say I will continue working from home until end of June

Orangeblossom78 Wed 06-May-20 11:31:31

I see, thanks. Yes it will be after that when it becomes more of an issue won't it if they want those people to continue to stay at home. Hopefully for some they can continue to work from home perhaps.

MadisonAvenue Wed 06-May-20 12:09:03

I’m worried about aspects of this for my son who has been told to shield. He’s fit and healthy as the condition he’s shielding for has no effect on his health normally. He’s in his first year of a four year engineering apprenticeship after three years at college and which he enjoys, obviously he can’t work from home and I’m so concerned for him. He’s got car payments and insurance to cover (of course we could help but our household income has taken a large hit too) plus I’d like to know that he’ll have job security should this be ongoing until a vaccine or at least an effective treatment is available.

Orangeblossom78 Wed 06-May-20 15:18:49

Yes that is a tricky situation, I agree when they are overall healthy but in this group.

Deelish75 Wed 06-May-20 17:55:03

In a similar situation, DP (vulnerable but not shielding) had a brain haemorrhage as a teenager, he’s fit and healthy now, hasn’t seen a Dr regarding it in years. The only medication he has regarding it is NHS annual flu jab.
There is new research coming out regarding Covid and blood clots but not enough is known and we don’t know if it could affect DP.
Luckily he’s able to wfh and he’s said he’s happy to do that for the foreseeable, I’m a SAHM, but was hoping to return to work this September (looks like that’s on hold for the moment). Our main dilemma is the DC returning to school - we haven’t got a clue what to do.

Orangeblossom78 Wed 06-May-20 21:07:57

I know it's difficult. We've already decided DC going back and DH to work as he can't work from home and DC's in important years such as GCSE. I'd like to know more about recoveries on these meds in otherwise fit people. Have posted on it but no replies yet

Littlemiss74 Wed 06-May-20 21:10:53

I had a chat with my consultant and he said although I am at a slightly higher risk because of the drugs I am otherwise healthy and not in the more at risk categories ie overweight, elderly. So he thought I should be ok. But who knows I suppose when perfectly healthy young people have got very ill with it.

Orangeblossom78 Thu 07-May-20 16:59:09

Sound like my DH as well Littleness, goes out sunning each day, is fit and thin but he's over 50 and male which I guess is not good really but there we go..he just heard his work is re-opening this week. Manufacturing. He will need to go in due to the equipment etc

Littlemiss74 Thu 07-May-20 18:04:12

Has he talked to his employer about his situation? It seems so inconsistent that I got a letter and he didn’t and we take the same meds. Having the letter to show your employer helps I think but even without it they should make sure measures are in place to protect him.

Orangeblossom78 Thu 07-May-20 19:16:04

It's not really his employer as he is a contractor and self employed. I think they did make their office staff work form home if they had health conditions prior to this. It can be tricky sometimes as obviously he needs the money as well. They will obviously do all they are meant to in terms of distancing and he works alone anyway so we'll see.

TiredMummyXYZ Thu 07-May-20 19:31:10

I sympathise and am in a similar situation. I have asthma but not severe enough to be shielded and my husband is type 1 diabetic. Both conditions are on the vulnerable / higher risk list but not enough for shielding. The government’s approach just seems to have been one of ‘yes you are more vulnerable but just get in it with’ with no additional support or advice. That means it’s down to individual employers to interpret how to proceed. We’ve been fortunate so far but longer term it’s worrying. It’s hard to be confident about going back to work and lockdown lifting when you’re in this position.

Orangeblossom78 Thu 07-May-20 20:00:10

He seems remarkably not bothered by it. I am a little more so but accept it is his decision. The children will be back at school at some point anyway so we'll need to get used to that too. I guess we all have to just assess our risk and deal with it as best we can

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »