Advanced search

A & E with teenager in lockdown

(8 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-May-20 14:58:52

My 16 year old dd is under cardiology at major children's hospital, she has been complaining of chest pain/palpitations and at last hospital visit in February it was suggested if these symptoms went on for longer than 30 minutes that we take her to A & E.
Would i be allowed in with her or does each hospital vary on what is allowed? Just trying to prepare her in case she needs to be seen.

OP’s posts: |
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-May-20 14:59:47

They want her on ECG to see if anything can be picked up.

OP’s posts: |
SapphosRock Tue 05-May-20 15:00:55

Sorry to hear that OP, it sounds stressful. I had to take my DS to the children's A&E recently, it was strictly 1 adult per child no other family members allowed so you should be able to be with her.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 05-May-20 20:07:15

Thank you for reply, hopefully that will reassure her, she is to have an internal loop recorder fitted at some point.

OP’s posts: |
rwalker Tue 05-May-20 20:11:23

yeah you will be able to go in but also if you ring 111 if appropriate would probley send paramedic to do ecg at home

Mumof1andacat Tue 05-May-20 20:15:51

I would be tempted to call her consultant or ask to speak to the cardiac specialist nurses

negomi90 Tue 05-May-20 20:15:56

Take her to A&E (ideally at the hospital with her cardiology team). Children are allowed one parent as long as the parent stays resident and doesn't swap over.
Don't get the paramedics to do it, as it needs to be cardiology or at least paediatrics who review the ECG. Paramedics do heart attacks and obvious arrhythmia well, they aren't expert in subtle child ecgs.

rwalker Tue 05-May-20 20:21:55

paramedics can leasise with caridolgy and get them to review it possibly avoiding admission

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »