Talk

Advanced search

Impact of lockdown on developing immune systems

(4 Posts)
Juancornetto Tue 05-May-20 07:33:16

I've always been a fan of the peck of dirt theory and believed that it's important that children are exposed to some germs to build up their immune systems.
I completely understand how important lockdown is but am selfishly worrying about my 1 year old. Even when schools go back, I can see it being a long time until stay and play group reopen, I worry about him not mixing with other kids. The social aspect, while important, can be fixed but his immune system not developing properly because he's living in a bubble can't. Does it really matter?

OP’s posts: |
UnmentionedElephantDildo Tue 05-May-20 08:15:01

So far it's been six weeks, and no that does not matter.

Especially if you either have a garden, though with very small DC they a are probably touching stuff even when they shouldn't when out and about during daily exercise.

TwistyHair Tue 05-May-20 08:16:55

Immune systems do matter and it’s very good for your immune system to catch a cold at some point in the first year of your life. It helps prevent leukaemia. But I guess the risk of coronavirus is more.

Juancornetto Tue 05-May-20 08:57:34

I'm not worried about 6 weeks, I can just see it going on for a lot longer. He's had a LOT of colds, is a big fan of getting muddy in the garden and I breastfed him for 16 months so I guess he has that protection.
So just have to hope that smaller babies don't get badly affected by the situation

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »