Talk

Advanced search

Feeling absolutely hopeless tonight

(5 Posts)
thewheelsonthebus23 Mon 04-May-20 21:31:58

I feel like I’ll never see my family again, particularly my parents.
My side of the family, live 4 hours away by car from us.
I can imagine they may lift restrictions on seeing close family members at some point soon, but they won’t want people travelling to diffferng regions potentially spreading the virus around. Instead of keeping it contained in local areas.
My parents are desperate to see my DS again. He’s 18.5 months so really starting to develop quickly now and changes are happening everyday, we do face time regularly, but it’s not the same. He’s started getting angry when they’re on the face time, doesn’t want to wave at them or even look at the screen, he started having a tantrum yesterday, cried and threw the phone on the floor, before that he was trying to close the phone case up sad
I’m scare whenever we do see them again, he may have completely forgotten them or has no bond with them at all.
My in laws live locally and we always saw them more often anyway, we’ve been driving for a long countryside walk near to theirs and then going to their window and waving.

OP’s posts: |
LilyPond2 Mon 04-May-20 21:49:16

Please don't worry about your DS not having a bond with your parents! He's so young that even if he'd never met your parents before, he would still be young enough for a strong bond to develop in future.

Scottishgirl85 Mon 04-May-20 22:13:13

We live 8 hours from my family, so only see them 2 or 3 times a year. Both our daughters have a great bond with my parents. Especially from around age 3 when they really start to remember people they don't see very often. Don't worry.

Atla Mon 04-May-20 23:19:48

I live in NI and the rest of my family live in England. I feel like it might be a long time before I see any of them again a d that makes me feel really sad.

However, I can tell you that my kids only see most of the family once a year but still have a good close bond, especially with my parents and nieces and nephews.

thaegumathteth Mon 04-May-20 23:25:29

If they live 4 hours away how often do you usually see them?

When ds was little we saw my parents maybe once every 1-2 weeks but when dd came along the journey was a trek and my parents weren't keeping as well. Dd probably saw them every 2-3 months if not longer. Saw in laws weekly. The bond is MUCH stronger on my side just because they are more interested - ie they know what their teddy was called or their favourite tv show or who their friends are etc. Really don't worry.

Also what about if he sat on your knee and they read him a story but you put it through the TV?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »