Talk

Advanced search

Can you self isolate more than once?

(13 Posts)
dazzlinghaze Sun 03-May-20 17:17:19

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice. I work for the NHS on a covid ward and have had a bit of a sore throat since last week. Last night I developed a bit of a tickly cough and a runny nose so assume I now have to isolate. However, I was unwell at the end of March with bad cold symptoms including a cough and temperature and had to isolate then but this was before I worked on the covid ward so was most likely a run of the mill cold.

Does anyone have any experience of having to isolate more than once? Especially those working for the NHS. I can't seem to find any information online and can't get a hold of my manager and I'm due back to work tomorrow morning.

PleasantVille Sun 03-May-20 17:22:14

I don't work for the NHS but now you can get tests why would you need to isolate unless you get a positive result. I thought the point of the increase in testing capacity was to reduce the need for self isolating.

GenderApostate19 Sun 03-May-20 17:34:23

You think a negative result means you don’t have it? Not with a 30% failure rate.
DH tested negative ( I did too) He was meant to be back at work today but felt rough last night and worse this morning, he rang the covid team, who have called him every day for a week and think he does have it, they arranged an appt at an urgent care centre, they checked him over, he has a temperature of 38 (our thermometer must be knackered as it said 36.9) his sats were 88, so worryingly low.
He is currently at A+E on the covid side, having blood tests, xrays and ecg ! Obviously I couldn’t go with him so I’m sat at home worrying.
He’s on day 8/9 of symptoms and we assumed he was over the worst.
Even with a negative result, if you have symptoms you should isolate for two weeks to be safe.

TabbyMumz Sun 03-May-20 17:34:28

Yes, get yourself tested asap, then you will know if you have it or not. If it comes back negative and you feel well enough, you can get back to work.

PleasantVille Sun 03-May-20 17:43:44

Even with a negative result, if you have symptoms you should isolate for two weeks to be safe

That's not the guidance though is it, what would be the point of the huge key worker testing programme if the negative results are ignored? As long as the test is negative and the other conditions are met you can go back to work.

GenderApostate19 Sun 03-May-20 17:44:20

I think NHS staff in particular, should have to have two negative tests, 48 hours apart, before going back.

GenderApostate19 Sun 03-May-20 17:53:29

30 people out of every 100 with negative results are potentially positive, you don’t think that will have major ramifications in work places?
My DH is following Covid team instructions.
It’s looking very much like his colleague, who came back to work after a neg result, was the one to infect him, his wife now has pneumonia and he is off work again, worse than ever.
This mass testing where the swab is self administered is a disaster in waiting. I would be unsurprised if the false neg result is closer to 50% with it.

HeadacheAgainToday Sun 03-May-20 17:59:39

I work for the NHS and self isolated twice. Second time I was able to get a test and it was positive. To be honest though, I think I had the same thing both time. I think cv-19 stays with you and just 'flares up' when triggered.

dazzlinghaze Sun 03-May-20 18:04:51

Thanks everyone, I phoned 111 and they said with my symptoms I need to isolate for 7 days and that my manager should organise for me to be tested. So I've called the on shift supervisor and she's left a note in the book and I'll call my manager myself tomorrow.

The only thing is, I tried signing up for the test myself via the gov website and it said they only had drive through appointments but I don't drive and don't live with anyone who does. The nhs staff website says they can try and organise an at home test or private transport for those who don't drive but they can't guarantee it. So don't know where that will leave me! Especially as they're saying the test is only valid within the first 5 days of symptoms confused I'd like to be tested for peace of mind. I feel mostly well on myself but it would be good to know either way.

dazzlinghaze Sun 03-May-20 18:07:31

@HeadacheAgainToday That's good to know, I was worried they'd be funny about it. Was it recorded as special leave both times?Hope you're feeling better!

Monkeytapper Sun 03-May-20 18:10:54

Surely you or your managers should the answer to this if you work on a COVID Ward rather than a load of random people on Mumsnet? I’m shocked you have asked on here and this concerns me. Hope you feel better soon though.

dazzlinghaze Sun 03-May-20 18:12:42

@PleasantVille can't be tested tonight and am due back to work tomorrow so can't go in until I've had the test. Hopefully it's negative so I can get back, I was nearly loopy with boredom by the end of the last time I had to isolate.

dazzlinghaze Sun 03-May-20 18:16:08

@monkeytapper I'm not a nurse or doctor, me and the rest of my colleagues haven't been kept in the loop at all. And as I said in my OP, I haven't been able to get in touch with my manager.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »