Talk

Advanced search

Furlough until september

(144 Posts)
Seesaw121 Sun 03-May-20 15:57:25

Apparently the chansellor is being pushed to furlough until september.
Thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
ForMySorrow Sun 03-May-20 15:58:31

Source?

PineappleDanish Sun 03-May-20 15:58:35

Apparently? Pushed by who? People who are furloughed and quite liking the life at home?

No chance. We can't afford to pay people to sit at home for 6 months.

Thighmageddon Sun 03-May-20 16:00:15

My thoughts are, I'd like to see the source and not something read in the daily fail.

Ineverdidmind Sun 03-May-20 16:00:39

I cant see this happening, where have you heard it?

P1nkHeartLovesCake Sun 03-May-20 16:01:31

Not going to happen. We can’t afford to pay 80% of people’s wages that long!

I’m sure some love being a home and being paid for nothing but that can’t continue, they will have to go back to work

Happygirl79 Sun 03-May-20 16:02:12

Utter rubbish
The country would be bankrupt

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-May-20 16:02:37

I can't see that happening at all.

Itisasecret Sun 03-May-20 16:03:57

That will never happen.

user1635482648 Sun 03-May-20 16:04:23

Source please.

TheLastSaola Sun 03-May-20 16:04:30

I think it's likely, but limited to only select industries - only where the government has mandated closure.

I don't think it will be extended in its current form.

flowery Sun 03-May-20 16:06:46

“Apparently”?

Is this people “pushing” in the same way as some women are “pushing” for longer paid maternity leave because they’ve not been able to go to baby groups?

ie never going to happen.

MrsWhites Sun 03-May-20 16:07:39

I don’t think that will or should happen! Those pushing for a further furlough seem to forget that this all has to be paid for somehow.

I would also be interested to see how many of the people shouting for furlough to continue or those who are saying it isn’t safe for them to go back to work...how many of have been in massive queues at b&q and other non-essential stores. Obviously not taring everyone with the same brush, I feel for those in any tourism, entertainment, restaurant type industries for who furlough has been so desperately needed but it can’t go on indefinitely!

cookingmywaythroughlockdown Sun 03-May-20 16:08:22

No way is this happening. September isn't magic when everything will be ok.

MrsWhites Sun 03-May-20 16:09:25

@flowery I’m so pleased to see someone else who feels the same way about the potential to extend maternity leave. I was absolutely blasted on a Facebook thread earlier this week when I suggested this wasn’t a good use of government funding! Of course it’s not ideal for anyone on maternity leave to have to stay at home but they have still had the same amount of time with their babies!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 03-May-20 16:10:16

I'm furloughed until the end of June, yet i expect to be back before that. I don't choose to be at home, i didn't choose this. I want to be at work. However if me being furloughed saves my job then so be it.

I will admit the break is doing me good but I'm struggling financially as DP is self employed and not earning. We didn't qualify for a mortgage break.

Please don't imply that I'm lazily sat on my.backside being paid. I'm keeping up with studies, i was meant to qualify in June, this will now not be until at least September when I'll have to do clinical exams that I'm not able to practice the skills for.

I also recognise that it is a bit crap for those at work, often picking up the slack for furloughed workers but it will be the furloughed workers that fall foul of the redundancy axe when it falls, which it will.

I can't see where the money will come from for furlough until June but September is ridiculous.

Maybe this is the time to cancel world debt eh?

BriefDisaster Sun 03-May-20 16:10:35

Honestly if it extends much longer they will struggle getting people back to work.

I think it will already be a problem tbh, people liking being at home, people too scared to step foot outside and people acting like this is all a big holiday.

imsooverthisdrama Sun 03-May-20 16:10:48

Apparently hmm
If it is extended and for some it may be , it'll be month by month so to go from June to September is a big leap .

Seesaw121 Sun 03-May-20 16:10:53

I dont work in a pub, restaurant or hotel but how will these people survive financially if theyre not open past June and furlough has stopped? There will not be enough jobs for all these people, especially since pubs, restaurants, hotels are usually the ones regularly advertising jobs

Seesaw121 Sun 03-May-20 16:14:14

I've read this on a variety of news sites

Thighmageddon Sun 03-May-20 16:15:21

I'd think they're going to have to apply for universal credit and then probable re-hire when places can open.

Seesaw121 Sun 03-May-20 16:16:03

Absolutely rubbish situation for all isn't it

user135135 Sun 03-May-20 16:16:53

I hope furlough will be extended, but with strict rules to prove how a business is impacted, or maybe even limit it to certain sectors.
Hospitality will need a while to get back to normal, so there will be many unemployed people in this sector otherwise.

Figgygal Sun 03-May-20 16:18:15

Not a chance It’ll bankrupt us
It’s just hiding the unemployed as for a lot of people they’ll be made redundant as soon as it’s lifted anyway

ChrissieKeller61 Sun 03-May-20 16:20:12

They absolutely can afford to do it, they won't but that's another story

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »