Talk

Advanced search

Will we be fined if we choose not to send in June?

(42 Posts)
Waitingforsleep2 Sun 03-May-20 09:07:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Querlouse Sun 03-May-20 09:09:26

They asked Matt Hancock this question at the briefing a couple of days ago and he basically didn't know.

Hugglespuffed Sun 03-May-20 09:15:50

Yes I remember them asking him and he basically avoided the direct answer and instead said something like 'we won't open schools until safe'
Personally i think parents should be able to decide and it shouldn't put parents in financial difficulties.
I think they may relax the fines if they go back before the summer but not from September. This is based on nothing though. Just my opinion.

Querlouse Sun 03-May-20 09:18:42

Yes without any knowledge whatsoever I would presume fines will resume once schools have returned to something like normal, which won't be until 2021 I wouldn't have thought.

Waitingforsleep2 Sun 03-May-20 09:18:45

Hugglespuffed Sun 03-May-20 09:41:38

I think the only difficult thing will be that once the schools open, teachers won't have time to be setting work for children at home. It will be stressful enough for them managing some form of social distancing / new rules at schools.

Querlouse Sun 03-May-20 09:42:41

I presume they will have to, somehow?

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sun 03-May-20 09:45:11

Me and my husband can work from home

Unless you are self employed, your employer may be unhappy to have you juggling work and childcare if schools have reopened. It's understandable that they make allowances in the current situation, but how many employers are going to want this longer term if an alternative is available?

booboo24 Sun 03-May-20 09:48:16

Matt Hancock said yes there would be fines in a roundabout way, he said they won't reopen schools until they're absolutely certain it's safe, so when they do go back it will be expected that all children should return

Snuggles81 Sun 03-May-20 09:52:21

The week or so before the school closures we had alot of parents take their children out early and weren't fined, so I would assume the same principles will apply. For those children though parents were told by our head that staff wouldn't be unable to set work as we were teaching in school, so again this is likely to be the same. At the moment at our school we record videos, create a menu of learning with set work, website and so on, we also use an online learning platform for work to submitted where we give feedback on all work, again this wouldn't happen for those not in school as we couldn't do both.

Who knows what schools will look like over the next few months one thing on do know is it's going to be far from getting back to normal.

Brownyblonde Sun 03-May-20 09:53:51

Oh just send them in! (eye roll) hmm

MrsWombat Sun 03-May-20 10:22:55

Matt Hancock said yes there would be fines in a roundabout way, he said they won't reopen schools until they're absolutely certain it's safe, so when they do go back it will be expected that all children should return.

This. If the schools are back then the usual attendance rules will apply. The local councils/schools may decide to deal with things differently though.

PleasantVille Sun 03-May-20 10:26:32

Every thread I open today is asking an unanswerable question, honestly, wait and see.

Surely all this endless mither about stuff can't be good for mental health.

Kokeshi123 Sun 03-May-20 10:32:06

UK (or is it only England?) attendance rules are crazy at the best of times. They should definitely not be applying now. And kids should be allowed to keep their school place.

There was a reference upthread to "teachers won't have time to be setting work for children at home." Fair enough, but how about if parents take full responsibility for this themselves?

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 03-May-20 10:40:33

Oh just send them in! (eye roll)'

Yeah. Who gives a fuck if they catch it and are asymptomatic and give it to someone who is in a vulnerable group and they die.

Parker231 Sun 03-May-20 10:41:00

If the schools reopen teachers won’t be able to send work out for those still at home so you may find it difficult in getting your DC’s caught up on the curriculum.

Waitingforsleep2 Sun 03-May-20 10:42:17

Oly4 Sun 03-May-20 10:43:57

If you’re not happy to send them in June when are you happy to? Because until we get a vaccine, the virus is still going to be circulating at some level. You’re taking 12-18 months

EducatingArti Sun 03-May-20 10:44:09

I don't think they will be opening anything like full time in June anyway.

VerbenaGirl Sun 03-May-20 10:45:59

I don’t think they will fine this academic year.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 03-May-20 10:49:50

Oh just send them in! (eye roll) hmm
Yeah I mean he just had CLD, permanent o2 and a blocked SVC. Totally ott of me to be worried.

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Sun 03-May-20 10:50:16

Op, you can always register them as home educated and do what works best for you. If they are not in reception or Year 1, you may still find their places available when you are ready to send them back.

I think that what would be unreasonable as long as you keep up with the curriculum so your kids don’t pull back the whole group when they return.

SmileEachDay Sun 03-May-20 10:52:17

We don’t even know if schools are going to open in June.

If they do, it’ll be nothing like school that we’re used to.

Wait and see what is actually happening before you get worried...

TheFallenMadonna Sun 03-May-20 10:55:55

Nobody knows.

2kool4skool Sun 03-May-20 10:57:04

No one will force you. If you don’t want to send them back either hone school permanently or bear the fine. If you both still working presumably you are not financially beyond paying the fine? Or would the cost of the fine be more significant than the perceived health threat to the DC?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »