Talk

Advanced search

The 'lives saved' pay-off (car crashes etc)

(3 Posts)
RapidRainbow Thu 30-Apr-20 21:14:26

I know car accidents have gone down and I presume stabbings, mugging, spiking etc. have also followed suit.

Do you think overall deaths over time will be less due to the reductions in this area?

If you know the film 'sliding doors', it always intrigues me that one decision can change the course of your life.

How many people are walking around right now who would have died in car crashes if Covid19 had never hit? Isn't that a crazy thought!!!!?

OP’s posts: |
Blue5238 Thu 30-Apr-20 21:19:01

The reduction in car crashes and stabbings will be far outweighed by the increase in cancer, stroke, heart attack deaths due to people not seeking treatment.

And if we carry on with lockdown for much longer, the deaths from poverty could easily exceed the coronavirus deaths.

rallytog1 Thu 30-Apr-20 21:42:05

The current death rate is far, far higher than it generally is at this time of year. Both from covid-19 and for reasons Blue has set out. There is no upside to this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »