Talk

Advanced search

Any anti-vaxxers around?

(8 Posts)
Hermano Thu 30-Apr-20 20:00:12

Just wondering if anyone who would normally consider themselves to be an anti vaxxer, who hasn't given their child eg MMR would mind sharing if they've changed their mind following covid? If they'd take a vaccine when one is available, give it to their children etc?

No reason other than idle curiosity, vaccines are in the news a lot at the moment. I'm not a journalist, just a furloughed and slightly bored parent interested in hearing world views which are different from my own.

If you're interested I'm a scientist who is happy with the evidence base for vaccines and use them myself and for my children

OP’s posts: |
Mordred Thu 30-Apr-20 20:14:29

Vaccine, Vacca, Cow.

I do wonder how many anti-vaxxers know what vaccination actually is and how it works.

AfterSchoolWorry Thu 30-Apr-20 20:27:49

They'll be too busy worrying about Bill Gates and his microchips 🙄 and conflating critical thinking with conspiracy theories. 🤦🏻‍♀️

BF888 Fri 01-May-20 00:18:34

I have a friend who is a children’s nurse and no way previously anti-Vader always has stuck with the vaccine schedule for her daughter, who was recently 1. She has previously reacted to vaccines she’s had, and has reacted to her MMR severely. She has decided moving forward to not give further vaccines due to the adverse reactions, including Covid when it’s approved. It’s also made her question what is in them and she why her daughter has reacted the way she has. Not quite a typical anti Vaxx situation but thought worth sharing!

I’ve been on the fence with vaccines but since she’s spoken about her daughter I’ve researched out of curiosity too. I’d actually love to know your thoughts on the inclusion of WI-38 human lung fibroblasts in one of the MMR vaccines used by the NHS? I was surprised when I read what it was I am struggling on what the benefits are of including it, especially as from what I’ve read the other MMR the nhs use doesn’t have it in.

EveryoneButSam Fri 01-May-20 00:45:57

Live vaccines contain viruses, which only grow inside a cell. They cannot replicate on their own. In order to manufacture enough virus to make a vaccine, you need to grow it up in cells. For one of the MMR vaccines used in the UK, the rubella virus is grown in WI-38. There is nothing magical about the other vaccine - it just uses a different human cell line (MRC-5).

The benefit of the WI-38 cells is that they are part of the manufacturing process and without them (or something similar), there is no vaccine.

BF888 Fri 01-May-20 00:54:27

Thank you for explaining this further I do understand the logic behind it, but surely with the way we have advanced within pharmaceuticals there would be another alternative.

iswhois Fri 01-May-20 01:26:02

Thank you for explaining this further I do understand the logic behind it, but surely with the way we have advanced within pharmaceuticals there would be another alternative.

Because there's no reason to when they already have a perfectly effective way of manufacturing it? The cells aren't in the vaccines.

MiniTheMinx Fri 01-May-20 07:52:10

Neither of my DC had the MMR. I'm not anti- vaccines, I made a decision not to allow them to have MMR. I can't be bothered to argue or debate. I have an opinion on MMR. I have no reason to believe all vaccines are dangerous. Mine had single measles and rubella. If offered we will have the Covid vaccine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »