Talk

Advanced search

Shielding group after lockdown eases - what will happen?

(99 Posts)
Forgetcourgettes Wed 29-Apr-20 22:47:55

I just wondered what will happen to the shielding and vunerable group after lockdown is eased?

So if some places are opening again but just partially, do people who are shielding still have to shield?

OP’s posts: |
BuyorRent Wed 29-Apr-20 23:31:04

Watching with interest as I have no idea. Still don’t really know how long to shield for as some on the shielding letters have just gone out!

NervousInYorkshire Wed 29-Apr-20 23:34:18

Yep- mine originally got sent on the 17th of April (I only found out about it yesterday), so I'm shielding til July regardless...

Bagelsandbrie Wed 29-Apr-20 23:36:02

My letter is dated 16th April for 12 weeks. To be honest I think they want us to stay home forever - well until a vaccine is found. Or a reliable, proven treatment.

ofwarren Wed 29-Apr-20 23:36:29

They carry on shielding
I am in close contact with my son's hepatic team and they said they reckon we will need to shield until a vaccine is made.
Im not expecting to be able to leave the house in 2020 at all.

Forgetcourgettes Thu 30-Apr-20 00:13:31

So do people think a further shielding letter will be issued after this one 'expires?

OP’s posts: |
Flossie44 Thu 30-Apr-20 00:21:05

Watching with interest.

ofwarren Thu 30-Apr-20 00:39:24

I think another letter will come out yes, possibly with a further 12 weeks at this point.

DBML Thu 30-Apr-20 00:40:34

I imagine that once numbers of new cases are low enough to track and trace, there won’t be as strong a need for shielding.

Tonemeth Thu 30-Apr-20 00:46:57

I'm hoping stringent hygiene and social distancing but expecting more shielding.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-Apr-20 00:50:29

You will be advised to carry on shielding.
But ultimately it will be up to individuals to decide what risks to take.

Gingerkittykat Thu 30-Apr-20 00:54:23

I got my shielding letter yesterday, they all say 12 weeks on them no matter what date they were sent.

I'm expecting the shielded group will have to stay indoors for a lot longer than the rest of the population.

I'm trying to make the difficult choice of whether to get DD to move out to allow her to go back to college this year.

I'm really hoping some restrictions are lifted by Christmas so I can see my family!

ofwarren Thu 30-Apr-20 01:09:50

@GingerKittyCat
We have the same issue with my eldest and college.
We are considering a small caravan in the garden so he can still "live" here and go to college but I can help him with food and sort his clothes. He's 17 but has Aspergers. I dont know what else to do if his college make him go back in September.

ofwarren Thu 30-Apr-20 01:10:21

Sorry, that was for @gingerkittykat

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-Apr-20 01:18:38

My husband is shielding and I'm a teacher.
I literally haven't a clue what I'm going to do. I can't live in a caravan or move out.

Gingerkittykat Thu 30-Apr-20 01:21:45

It's a horrible choice to have to make especially when you have a child or young person with additional needs.

A caravan sounds like a good halfway option, what kind of toilets and showers would he have though?

ofwarren Thu 30-Apr-20 01:33:13

@GingerKittyKat
I'm hoping we can get one with those facilities inside. I really don't know what else to do.
I'm hoping they will let him finish the course via distance learning so he can stay in the house but it's a music course so I very much doubt it.

ClientQ Thu 30-Apr-20 01:54:32

People can't shield for much longer I wouldn't imagine. They need to work, pay bills, mortgages etc. Unless they continue furlough payments. Really don't know and I'm quite worried about it

JustStayHome Thu 30-Apr-20 02:16:13

Shielding will continue wether or not the government start lifting restrictions

For us, nothing changes

But ofcourse, its up to individuals what they want to do.

But im not going anywhere after restrictions have been lifted...

If lifted to early, there could be a second wave which could be alot worse than this one...

Im staying put!

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-Apr-20 02:44:54

There will be an awful lot of arguments between family members about who should and shouldn't be doing this, that and the other when restrictions are lifted. It will be another layer of stress and discord.

toughsituation Thu 30-Apr-20 07:09:08

I am shielding due to going through chemotherapy. We have 3 primary aged children (2 with ASD) and my husband is also a teacher. I am so worried about what we will do when schools go back. I cannot socially distance from them and my husband is our only source of income so has to work. However, trying to rest and recover is incredibly hard whilst trying to home school. I have already had 2 cycles of chemo delayed due to my blood count not recovering in time.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-Apr-20 07:35:38

@toughsituation
I really think that in your situation it won't be expected that your children return to school. Likewise your husband.
I've been thinking an awful lot about the future of schools. I think that things will be very, very different than before.
It's made me realise that schools are basically a cross between childcare and social work, with a bonus bit of education thrown in.
I think that there will be lots of kids who don't return to school, and I very much hope that there will be potential for teachers such as your husband and me to work from home.
Also the education unions are very strong and I trust that they will look after our interests. Even the less radical nasuwt has been quite vocal about it.
I hope that I have made you a little less anxious. Best wishes to you.

bellinisurge Thu 30-Apr-20 07:42:11

My DH was pretty horrified to discover he was put on a vulnerable list by the GP - Sainsburys are finally giving him delivery slots having promised to do so (because he's been identified as vulnerable) several weeks ago.
He has mild asthma. "Am I going to have to make my whole life about it now?"
I reminded him Manchester United and England football hero, Paul Scholes, also has asthma so he'd be in good company.
I think there is a move to "other" people despite the fact that this virus clearly kills people who are not "other" people.
I have MS. I'm used to being defined by other people by my condition.

ElizabethMainwaring Thu 30-Apr-20 07:50:05

Bellinsurge
Very interesting regarding the othering.
The whole situation is incredibly socially divisive on so many ways.
(And thanks to you, I was pleasantly prepped for all of this. You are a MN heroine!)

bellinisurge Thu 30-Apr-20 07:52:58

That's very kind of you to say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »