This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Delaying pregnancy due to coronavirus(24 Posts)
I was hoping to get pregnant again this year(I have a 3 year old DD) but have decided against it for the time being. I'm healthy and sure the baby would be okay but I think things are just too uncertain and all with the pandemic.
Anyone else made this choice? If you are pregnant are you worried?
I found out I was pregnant in March and while I was waiting for my period had decided if it came I would delay Ttc. It’s done now and I’m trying to be positive but this is a horrible time to be pregnant.
I wouldn't bother delaying it if you want another child. Mostly because, sadly, you can't choose when to get pregnant.
For context, one of my DC took 2.5 years to conceive, DC2 took 11 months. We've been TTC for 4 years on and off and have lost 4. You just don't know how these things will work out. What if you wait until next year and it takes years?
Go for it now
I've been wrestling with the same decision. We have a 2.5 year old and started TTC just before coronavirus hit. We've gone back and forth a lot but ultimately have decided to keep trying as we have no idea how long it will take, and at 33 I don't feel that time is particularly on my side. I do worry though that maybe it's the wrong decision ; everything feels so uncertain at the moment.
I’m currently sat in hospital waiting for my 20 week rescan. I’ve also developed a couple of complications that I never had in my first two textbook pregnancies so I am going to be here every two weeks.
I’m worried about catching it before my c section.
It’s not great. Especially since a pregnancy woman died from covid in this hospital a few weeks ago. If I could turn back the clock, I would have waited. I’m 40 so it would have probably meant not having a third child but I still wouldn’t have gone ahead.
Depends if you have age on your side or not really or if you had any issues conceiving DC1. As others have said you can’t choose when to get pregnant and it might not happen quickly. Also tbh COVID is going no where anytime soon so realistically if you want to wait until it’s all over you could be looking at years. I’m in the same boat, DC1 took 18 months to conceive so I am not delaying TTC DC2, however had I conceived DC1 quickly I probably would delay but only a few months.
Currently 21 weeks pregnant and I wouldn’t change it. It does add more worry in ways but I just have to be extra cautious. DH goes grocery shopping and I’m home other than walks with DS.
I mostly worry about what happens when I go in to labour. DH can come with me but then who minds my other child (12 month old) because I can’t drop him to anyone’s house and the people I had hoped could mind him aren’t following the guidelines at all.
How would you feel about delaying TTC?
Depends on your age and how quickly you conceive. I personally would wait, I’m 31 and catch easily, no way would I do it now.
Might be different if you haven’t got time on your side.
I’m still trying due to my age. Probably won’t work anyway.
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and feel I'm missing out on so much. This is my first pregnancy/baby and my parents first grandchild and they aren't getting the chance to enjoy it with me and probably won't be able to meet/hold their grandchild straight away.
Thankfully I had all my scans pre-corona so DH was able to be there but it's unlikely he'll be able to spend any time with our baby once they're born as he'll have to leave as soon as I deliver and we won't see him again until we are discharged from hospital.
It's a scary and sad time when it should be exciting.
We had a family event to attend late this summer involving a long haul flight to a Zika virus zone. We were hoping to start TTC for our first child together around Christmas when it is safe to (you have to wait a few months after returning from a zika area before TTC). This event has now been postponed to summer 2021 which means we won’t be able to TTC until Christmas ish time NEXT year.
Me and DP will both be about 35.5 by then
I may have to not attend this event but it will not go down well with our family
I would wait, and I'd wait to see what happens with Brexit at the end of this year, too. If we crash out of transition we could be in even deeper dog poo with food supply chains disrupted.
I would wait. I got pregnant in the middle of December. Am obviously pleased I am having another baby (and everything looks ok so far), but had I known what was coming I would never have got pregnant.
Midwife appointments are minimal. I'm due an elective section in August, and worried how it will all pan out.
Worried about catching it as pregnant women / post partum women have died with CV. Currently no partners allowed once you have given birth. Last time I couldn't lift DD to feed her, and the midwives were thin on the ground, so god knows how that will be.
Will need help from my mum when baby is born & DH goes back (to help with DD age 3 / drive her to preschool if its open etc) but she is vulnerable too, so might still not be able to see her. God knows how that would work. No idea how I will manage a newborn and a very active 3 year old post c section with no help.
Don't really like to think about it as its all a bit shit really.
Same dilemma here OP.
We have a 2 and a half year old. Originally planned to start TTC in May / June but now feeling very hesitant. I don't think 5 weeks of pure childcare have helped either. I'm 33 but dc1 was conceived straight away. I think ultimately we will wait a few extra months and see where we're at in August.
I'm also same situation. Really, really want to start TTCing no. 2 now - DS is 22 months and took two years and three miscarriages so I'm worried that delaying for too long would mean never having a second child. My big fear is not knowing if coronavirus causes any problems in developing pregnancies or how high risk pregnant women are
DH and I's current agreement - he really wanted us to just keep on trying - is that we'll think about it again in July and tbh I think we probably will start trying again then.
We have put off TTC until next year, I’m too stressed at the moment as it is, and I don’t want hoping for a positive pregnancy test to add to that.
It depends on your age, I’m 31 and dp is 33, so we have a bit of time on our side. Hopefully everything will work out. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I’m 16 weeks pregnant. Not my first so I guess I’m a bit less anxious than I might otherwise be. I don’t mind going to scans alone (wouldn’t be my preference but it’s not that bad- appreciate I might have felt differently if it was my first). I can understand why people are holding off, but in my case I’m nearly 40 so waiting much longer wouldn’t have been an option for us. Or not an option I’d have wanted to take anyway.
We have not too long had our third dc and were debating on having one more. I wanted to have a small age gap if we did because of my age mainly and because I wouldn't want our older two dc to be constrained by much younger siblings. This would mean ttc soon. I think for us cv has made that decision for us as I would not chose to be pregnant now if i'm honest. This will mean no more dc for us I imagine now which does make me sad but I'm incredibly fortunate and grareful for the dc we have.
However as others have said, it really depends on your situation...how old you are and whether you would mind risking a much larger age gap than you'd hoped for etc. If I was older and it was my first dc for example, I would probably go ahead.
We had been discussing trying for a 3rd and had pretty much decided to go for it but have shelved it for now.
I'm nearly 37 and I don't want a baby past 40 so, given we don't know how long this will last or how quickly we will concieve, then there is a good chance that it just won't happen.
I was thinking of TTC number 2 at the end of the year having given birth in November but I just don't see it happening now. I wanted a smallish age gap but I just don't think I could do it with all the uncertainty. Have agreed to wait until a vaccine is developed!
Currently ttc our first
Won’t be stopping! It could take ages to get pregnant - I’d be so annoyed at myself if I put it off a year or 2 and then struggled - I’d be always wondering what if I’d started earlier!
Also now is a good time as husband and I are home together and have plenty of free time to try 😂😂
We already live in a different country to our families so they aren’t relied on for help/childcare anyway!
Obviously be a bit crap if husband can’t come to scans - but not the biggest deal!
Other than that I’ve not got much concerns?
I’ll be working from home for the foreseeable anyway - no commute, can stay safe at home for most of not all of the pregnancy!
My whole year of plans has already been taken from me already (holidays, music festivals, trip home to family for a week etc) so being pregnant would be amazing and make up for such a shite year that we’ve had so far!
I’m 25 weeks with my second. If it was my first I would be feeling a lot more anxious. At least I know what is likely to happen. It’s not ideal but I’m 39 so couldn’t have waited more than a year. Coronavirus has wrecked all plans for this year so being pregnant isn’t such a bad idea.
Glad to read I’m not the only one affected by this. Feeling really anxious about having to wait until I’m potentially 35 odd before even getting to start TTC.
Join the discussion
Please login first.