Talk

Advanced search

How are nurseries handling things now?

(9 Posts)
Bubblesbubblesmybubbles Wed 29-Apr-20 08:02:38

Just wondering as obviously with littlies social distancing is just a no go. Guessing loads of washing hands and cleaning of toys?!

Dreading DC going back ever but also k ow developmentally its wonderful

OP’s posts: |
Nochangeplease Wed 29-Apr-20 08:28:20

Only a few children but yes lots of hand washing and cleaning but no social distancing.
Once there are more children hand washing will become pointless because there won’t be enough adults to children to help them, and most children when left to it, do not wash their hands properly.

Tanith Wed 29-Apr-20 08:34:43

I can only speak as a childminder, but we’ve been given little guidance other than to clean thoroughly and wash hands more frequently. I normally work with DH, but not really since the lockdown.

PPE has been suggested among us, but we’ve been assured we don’t need more than our usual gloves when dealing with body fluids and waste.
We are concerned that any masks will scare the children, though I think they’ll probably adapt very quickly.

So, we’ve come up with our own preventions.

Parents not allowed on premises, and social distancing at all times.
Kids, it’s simply impossible. We are, however, washing and gelling hands when they arrive, when they leave, when they’ve been outside, if anyone coughs or sneezes, after using toilet.

We clean wherever they’ve been, especially after coughing or sneezing.

We are not sending anything home, artwork is displayed here and then kept in a folder. Forms are signed digitally.

At the end of the day, all bedding is stripped and boll washed, cot (only one in use atm) is cleaned and disinfected. We did that anyway, except the boil wash.
We’re lucky enough to have a playroom. It is cleaned thoroughly at the end of the day with bleach and soap products. Fabric toys are machine washed; wood toys wiped down, plastic soaked in a mild bleach and disinfectant solution, then rinsed and left to dry.
We’ve removed anything that cannot be washed or cleaned thoroughly and we’ve taken a lot of resources out to cut down on our cleaning.

We also shower and strip and wash our own clothing as soon as the children have left, and again after cleaning.

We are also being very strict about infections and illness. Temperatures are being taken and a child who appears ill or has a temperature is sent home, no arguments (to be fair, I have decent parents who agree with this).

My own children are older and I try to keep them away from the minded children. DS is easy: he’s a young adult and doing college work. DD is much younger and is used to playing with and cuddling the children. She keeps forgetting about social distancing. She does, however, have her schoolwork and DH is keeping her occupied away from us.

I imagine nurseries have their own similar procedures.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Bubblesbubblesmybubbles Wed 29-Apr-20 08:37:25

My DC is young enough they'd have to do it as i think otherwise the soap would be eaten or something but thank you, good to know!

I agree once more children are in it will probably be pointless

Keep thinking once DC is back we cannot protect his shielding grandparents anymore (once they relax restrictions of course), until that point we can sad

Tanith Wed 29-Apr-20 08:38:25

Oh, I mentioned masks and gloves. We’re running very low on gloves and have no masks anyway. Probably end up making our own if we use them.
Gloves were re-ordered last month, when I gave some to our ICU parents.

Bubblesbubblesmybubbles Wed 29-Apr-20 08:39:07

@Tanith sounds like you are doing absolutely everything possible!!

Redlocks28 Wed 29-Apr-20 08:41:58

Keep thinking once DC is back we cannot protect his shielding grandparents anymore (once they relax restrictions of course), until that point we can

Why will him going back to nursery mean his grandparents can’t shield?

I thought shielding restrictions needed to be in place for a significant period?

EasterIssland Wed 29-Apr-20 08:46:12

@Tanith seems like you're doing everything well and hope my sons nursery are doing the same. I know parents aren't allowed anymore indoors but that's as much as I know as we're not key workers

Bubblesbubblesmybubbles Wed 29-Apr-20 08:51:35

@Redlocks28 there is no way they will go a year without seeing all of their grandkids. They've already stated that so my plan is keep self isolating as long as possible so we pose minimal risk. Its shit but they probably wont be here in a year anyway with their health conditions. They've said if we refuse they will take other risks instead hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »