Talk

Advanced search

Is anybody else being desensitized?

(17 Posts)
Roostersmum2 Tue 28-Apr-20 16:49:45

I spent the majority of March and the start of April in a constant state of anxiety and teary but now I'm uncharacteristically calm.

Has anybody else become desensitized about the pandemic? I understand this won't apply to those personally affected.

Just to be clear, I absolutely do care about the people who have lost their lives, the grieving families and those who are struggling through the illness.

I think it must be self preservation, or that I've worried enough and can no longer bring myself to dwell on things.

OP’s posts: |
JemNadies Tue 28-Apr-20 16:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RhymingRabbit3 Tue 28-Apr-20 16:52:07

Yes I was terrified about it to begin with, now starting to feel it's just "one of those things".

Roostersmum2 Tue 28-Apr-20 16:53:17

So sorry to hear that Jem.

I've purposely avoided the mainstream media for the most part and have only started watching the news again as the daily death toll has began to decrease.

I couldn't cope with the headlines during the beginning, everything felt so desperate and hopeless

OP’s posts: |
Letsdrinkgin Tue 28-Apr-20 16:54:23

I’ve never been bothered about it tbh.

Rebelwithallthecause Tue 28-Apr-20 16:58:03

I’m heavily pregnant and was initially terrified especially at the thought of having to be in hospital environment on regular basis

Now I’m not really worried at all because I’ve had to go to the hospital and I’ve never felt so calm and at ease in the areas that I’ve needed to go in.

Im sure I’d feel differently if I saw a COVID ward in person but the maternity and antenatal areas couldn’t be more serene right now

(Other then the random pregnant women complaining about the doctor or midwife running late)

Kcnana Tue 28-Apr-20 17:45:22

Same as @JemNadies - I'm feeling worse as each day passes. I'm still working (albeit from home) and broke in to tears on a video call earlier which was unbelievably embarrassing blushFinding I'm super anxious and sensitive to everything at the moment.

Fallsballs Tue 28-Apr-20 17:50:32

I’m feeling desensitised too, a bit dulled tbh
I think there’s only so much stress/anxiety/worry a human being is capable of.

AmyFl Tue 28-Apr-20 20:15:47

Yes, I am sort of numbed now.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 28-Apr-20 20:18:44

Compassion fatigue. It happens to doctors who see lots of difficult stuff..maybe self protective. I know what you mean.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 28-Apr-20 20:22:30

Some helpful things here:

Limit the amount of daily news you watch or read about
Try to comes to terms with the fact that pain and suffering are realities of life over which we have little or no control
Be grateful for what is good in your life and in the world
Try to find some meaning in the suffering you see
If you must blame something, blame the situation, not the person
Show compassion to yourself by being kind, soothing, and comforting to yourself

www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/high-octane-women/201407/are-you-suffering-compassion-fatigue

loobyloo1234 Tue 28-Apr-20 20:28:39

I don’t feel as scared about catching the virus but I do worry about MH problems/lack of jobs/no money in the future. Not just for me but for everyone else. It’s looking pretty bleak right now

Laiste Tue 28-Apr-20 20:32:19

I was worried and a bit scared at the start. Washing things and making signs for the house ... hmm

Now i've swung too far the other way and I just want to go out there and catch the bloody thing (if we havent had it already) and get on with normality. Not scared at all anymore just bored stiff with poncing about in queues and not being allowed to do stuff
angry

BenjiB Tue 28-Apr-20 20:34:08

Yes. I was never massively worried to start with. Now I’m just residing myself to catching it at some point.

Fallsballs Tue 28-Apr-20 21:38:16

Compassion fatigue sounds spot on. So many emotions and feelings in the last month, I’m knackered !

Bonkerz Tue 28-Apr-20 21:41:51

I think I'm resigned that this is it for another few weeks if not months. March I panicked about catching it. April was about money and now I'm just kind of resigned to the fact that this is our life right now and actually I'm very lucky we are all healthy and it hasn't yet affected anyone close so we must be doing something right.

Orangeblossom78 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:42:08

Well maybe some of the above ideas might help. the best thing to do with this stuff is to not judge ourselves for it and maybe think if it is telling us something like to have a break. there's only so much emotional we can deal with maybe.

I ca't watch the adverts and evening news any more. I just catch up online when I feel like it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »