Talk

Advanced search

A cancelled UK holiday and a dilemma - rebook, or ask for refund?

(3 Posts)
silverdollarcity Tue 28-Apr-20 14:19:06

I'd like thoughts on a little dilemma, please.

We had a half-term holiday booked at a lovely, family-run independent campsite in May. The campsite closed a few weeks ago on instructions from the government, along with all other campsites in the country.

They've just emailed saying they've decided to close for the foreseeable now, and so our holiday is cancelled. We've only paid a £50 deposit.

They will offer refunds - that's not the issue. But they're asking, as a small family business, if we would consider moving our holiday to a different date and letting them keep the deposit.

I completely understand their situation. It is a lovely campsite run by a really nice family and they invested during the close season to revamp areas of the site. We could probably do without the £50, but I'm unsure about committing to a future date because it's all so uncertain. We could move to the may half term in 2021, but a part of me wonders if this will all be over by then or not. I'm reluctant to book anything for summer 2021 at the moment because I don't want to make any commitments for our main summer holiday.

This is totally a first-world problem, and not really a problem at all, but I just wondered what you'd do in this situation? I'd like to support them but am a bit wary of making commitments so far ahead.

OP’s posts: |
Ellmau Tue 28-Apr-20 14:56:01

Rebook for May 2021. If you end up not being able to make the second date you've only lost £50.

silverdollarcity Tue 28-Apr-20 23:17:30

Thank you- I've done that!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »