Talk

Advanced search

Toddler with high temp but not left the house

(52 Posts)
PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 09:52:16

Sorry if this is a stupid question..I've been up all night..

My DD has a high temp - no thermometer but very hot to touch. Seems to be a little more breathless than normal but certainly not struggling to breathe.

I'll call 111 as NHS online recommends, but I wonder how likely it is that it is covid? Not left the house since 13 March. We have been getting food delivered as DH vulnerable, so I sort it carefully and clean up afterwards. Last food delivery was well over 2 weeks ago.

I understand it MAY be covid, but just trying to get some perspective, If it is it will have come in through the food delivery. But if it is something else I don't know how another bug would have been picked up?

Sorry for the ramble just trying to think straight on lack on sleep!

OP’s posts: |
Chillipeanuts Tue 28-Apr-20 09:55:31

Please ring for advice. It’s unlikely to be Covid but there are many other potentially serious things it could be.

Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 09:56:45

Thank you, on hold to 111 now but just curious to see what people think. She seems ok in herself for now.

lastonetime Tue 28-Apr-20 10:21:31

Could it be molars coming through? DD got a bit hot and out of sorts when hers cut

LeFluffyPants Tue 28-Apr-20 11:51:20

OP this happened to my 3yo a week or so ago, turned out she had a UTI. Apparently quite common in toddler girls especially when potty training - not sure if that could be the case for you? Easily sorted with antibiotics which doctor prescribed remotely and she’s absolutely fine now. Hope this might help. Doctor also said over phone it was v unlikely (not impossible) to be covid if we’ve been at home, which in our case was correct x

LeFluffyPants Tue 28-Apr-20 11:52:06

Sorry, just seen this is a few hours old so you’ve probably had some advice now anyway! X

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 28-Apr-20 11:55:28

Could be an ear infection, UTI or tonsillitis? I hope 111 were helpful and she’s on the mend soon.

Bubblesbubblesmybubbles Tue 28-Apr-20 11:57:31

Teething always causes a temp here

BabyLlamaZen Tue 28-Apr-20 11:58:27

Hope all is ok. Also really recommend odering a thermometer online - saves a lot of stress and means you don't have to wait to get it done to access help.

bathsh3ba Tue 28-Apr-20 12:00:23

It could be a bacterial infection, we have all picked one up in last couple of weeks and some research suggests lockdown makes us more susceptible to bacterial infection.

blackcat86 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:00:46

Could it be a variety of things that arent covid but you should still try and get her temp down with calpol (or similar - avoid ibruopfen/nurofen products in case it is covid), loosen her clothing a little, offer fluids etc. Has she got any other symptoms? As others have mentioned, could she be teething? Have another kind of infection?

mummmy2017 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:30:50

I was going to say UTI, one of mine was always hot with it but a does of Calpol seemed to help.
However if your ever in doubt call and ask.

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 12:50:42

Thanks so much everyone. Calpol didn't do much and can't get ibuprofen down her but will try now she's asleep. I was thinking uti actually she is out of sorts. Not pulling at ears or anything but very dribbly! She's 39.4 a friend dropped a thermometer round safety

111 said stay home and call gp if gets worse, 999 if not breathing and floppy...

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:56:44

To be honest, I would call the GP and speak to them. Ours have been really good about doing phone appointments. If it’s a UTI/ear infection then she will need antibiotics.

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 12:59:32

Refusing all fluids and food even ice cream but managed to get the ibuprofen down. I'll call the gp feel silly really should have done that first!

NoEuropeWho Tue 28-Apr-20 13:19:04

We had exactly this last week! We’d been in the house for weeks, and the rest of the family were/are fine.

I suspected bacterial tonsillitis as he’d had it before (ended up going to the hospital minor injuries clinic last time as I had assumed a virus and left it a few days and then couldn’t get his temp down, and was keen to avoid that at the moment for obvious reasons) but could only get a partial glimpse of his tonsils.

Called the GP who prescribed antibiotics over the phone and he was better after 48 hours or so. We’re all quarantining for 14 days per the guidelines anyway, but I’m fairly sure it was tonsillitis and not Covid.

If it is bacterial tonsillitis then it can cause some stonkingly high 40+ temps and the GP confirmed I could use ibuprofen and paracetamol with overlapping doses if necessary. Obvs seek medical attention if v unwell or unresponsive.

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 28-Apr-20 13:24:10

I definitely would if refusing fluids, little ones can dehydrate quite quickly. Has she had wet nappies? If she’ll let you I’ve had some success with syringing squash in using a calpol syringe, 5ml every 10 minutes or so. It’s not ideal but better than nothing!

owlstwooting Tue 28-Apr-20 13:34:43

Hope your DC gets better soon

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 13:45:42

I'll try the syringe fluid trick when she's up! Her throats doesn't look red but I don't know what I'm looking for obviously no expert.

Dr is calling back later but thank you all so much this is exactly the kind of advice I need!

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 17:18:24

Argh I'm not sure what to do now. Dr said probably viral and if she becomes unresponsive or inconsolable take her to a&e... she's just fallen asleep on me again and feels a bit hot. She's been asleep more than awake today!

Dr said he would call in the morning but do I just ride this night out?

Sunshinegirl82 Tue 28-Apr-20 17:20:53

I would trust your instincts, if you think she needs to be seen then I would go with that.

Is she drinking? Does she have wet nappies?

Floatyboat Tue 28-Apr-20 17:22:16

Has she been quarantining her post?

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 17:26:51

I can't weigh up the risk at the moment because she may just need sleep

All post is untouched for days, shopping is sorted carefully and age doesn't touch it until food is prepared properly and carefully as normal anyway. But she doesn't rummage through the bags etc

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 17:27:24

Sorry she doesn't touch it *

PapercraftNinja Tue 28-Apr-20 17:28:04

Wet nappies, she managed a cup of milk before she went back to sleep

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »