Talk

Advanced search

Think I have coronavirus

(7 Posts)
jinglybell Mon 27-Apr-20 21:59:28

So I started feeling unwell this afternoon, cold, tight chest, sob, cough, pulse rate higher than usual, bit of a pain in the bottom of my ribs at the back, a bit wheezy.

Spoke to 111 who have advised I self isolate for 7 days and everyone else in the house for 14 days.

I work for the NHS so have booked myself in for a test on Wednesday.

I'm a bit anxious about everything - being unwell, the others in the house and the test itself.

Has anyone had the test and can tell me what it's like?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
pocketem Mon 27-Apr-20 22:09:01

Uncomfortable but not painful. You'll be fine

Bugsy73 Mon 27-Apr-20 22:12:36

I had one last week. It was ok. Drive through, had to register details on my phone and then swab myself, first down my throat and then up both nostrils with the same swab which was a bit grim.
I found it a bit stressful as a queue behind me and felt like I was dithering a bit.
Anyway, it came back negative. I'm not sure how accurate it is to be honest and the window for a positive test regarding when symptoms start etc is quite narrow.
I never felt that ill though. Just a cough and a low grade temp. Still coughing now!
I did feel a bit anxious about other family members but then don't have the space to self isolate away from them, and also seemed a bit pointless as symptoms are late to show anyway.
Hope you feel better soon.

TKAAHUARTG Mon 27-Apr-20 22:16:03

The nasal swab is a very weird sensation. It is inserted and then pushed back so far that you actually think it is deep in your brain. It does not hurt though, it really tickled me and I kept saying I was going to sneeze. They were really quick and efficient. My test was negative and I am still coughing almost 6 weeks later but no one else in my family got sick so I don't know what I had.

Bugsy73 Mon 27-Apr-20 22:18:15

Potentially because I did mine myself I didn't get it high enough on the nasal side. Who knows.

jinglybell Mon 27-Apr-20 23:09:27

Thanks, my god it looks brutal! I didn't realise you could swab yourself - I don't think I could do that, I'm really squeamish!

@pocketem did yours come back negative?
@pocketem and Bugsy73 I'm glad yours did and hope you're feeling better now

OP’s posts: |
whatsleep Mon 27-Apr-20 23:09:56

My symptoms were the same as yours except I had barely any coughing. I took a test on day 8 by which time the only symptom I had was a slight wheezing and burning in my chest. Test is not painful but fairly uncomfortable. Over in a few seconds and the team running the drive through were lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »