Talk

Advanced search

Flu vaccine

(4 Posts)
SMJYellow Mon 27-Apr-20 21:15:16

I read online about this virus. Some people have mild symptoms like a cold, they hardly notice they have this virus. Other people are battered from the virus and other people need to go to hospital. It's all so different and quite baffling how it effects people differently.

I'm just thinking here.

Does anyone here get the wi ter flu vaccine? Also did you come down with the virus.

I know the flu vaccine won't be giving immunity here for this new virus but I'm wondering would people get a mild dose of the virus from the flu vaccine?

Jessi1972 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:34:53

Hi,
The covid virus is a new virus so wouldn't be covered by the flu vaccine.
I think the way all vaccines work by giving you a small dose of the illness and then you build up antibodies (a defense) protecting you.
The confusion occurring between flu and covid is that they both have similarities with symptoms.
Finally, have you seen the film outbreak with Dustin Hoffman? Ignore the dramatics and cheesy acting but that might give you a better understanding of how viruses work.

Jessi1972 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:44:17

Sorry, I forgot to add the reason they aren't doing that with Covid yet is because they still don't have a full understanding of this virus or if producing antibodies would work.

MyOtherProfile Mon 27-Apr-20 21:47:04

I don't really understand your question. Are you asking if the flu vaccine gives people Covid 19? Or are you asking if people get a milder version of Covid if they had the winter flu vaccine?

In either case no as they're not connected. And the flu jab isn't live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »