Talk

Advanced search

Testing centre information

(4 Posts)
GenderApostate19 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:05:44

Just got back from the drive in test centre at Manchester airport.
DH is a key worker and came home early yesterday with symptoms. He registered us online and it gives a list of available centres, our local one at the bet 365 stadium wasn’t showing so Manc was the next closest, got a time slot of 7-7.30pm and a qr code on our phones.
Turned up at 7pm, about 10 cars in front of us with 3 bays running, they hold up a card with a phone number, which is the person in your bay who guides you through the process and chucks a bag with all the stuff in through the back windows. You then move to another space and do your swab, it’s not pleasant and you have to do your tonsil area and up your nose as far as you can go, you put the swab in a tube that has a bit of fluid in it and attach a barcode to it and to the sealable bag that you then drive to another bay and put it in a bin. I imagine the tests are going to be very hit and miss, given that they are self administered, it would be helpful if the website had a video showing the best way to take the swab as you are not meant to touch your teeth or tongue, it really made both of us gag horribly and it gave DH a coughing fit.
It will be interesting to see the false negative rate, if they ever reveal it.

Stringervest Mon 27-Apr-20 21:25:26

Interesting, thank you for sharing!

How easy did you find it to book a test? The news would suggest that demand outstrips supply several times over.

BeingLonely Mon 27-Apr-20 21:30:13

In Scotland the swabs are done currently by health professionals. Literally all we do is turn up, they deal with absolutely everything else. It’s strange how different it’s done in different parts of the country

GenderApostate19 Mon 27-Apr-20 21:34:09

It was really easy, although he tried yesterday and only Birmingham was available so left it till this morning at about 10am, I think the slots refresh at 8am. I didn’t expect to get the same day, so very pleased with that.
It was a 45 minute drive for us, so people feeling really ill would struggle with anything not very local.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »