Talk

Advanced search

What will happen to supermarket queues when it starts raining?

(181 Posts)
SunnyStroll Mon 27-Apr-20 19:47:44

I know lockdown had been a different experience for different people but the sunshine must have made it a bit more bearable for everyone. Apparently it's going to be wet now for quite a few days.

What impact will that have on the queues? Yes, I know there's nothing to stop people queuing in the rain but will they? Will the usual quiet/busy times apply or will everyone shop in the dry spells?

How desperate would you need to be to queue for, say 40 min, in the rain?

Will good humour be maintained or might this be the tipping point?

OP’s posts: |
ChoppingBlock Mon 27-Apr-20 19:48:58

Raincoats and umbrellas.

JacobReesMogadishu Mon 27-Apr-20 19:49:00

They need to start building queue lines with a roof....bit like at Disneyland Paris.

Destroyer Mon 27-Apr-20 19:49:07

I assume I won’t have to wait as long in the queue.

Can’t stand the British attitude to rain. It barely rains anyway and you won’t melt in the wet.

Worstyear2020 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:49:16

Brolley smile

Fred578 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:49:41

I haven’t had to queue anywhere for more than ten mins so far and have been shopping once/twice a week with no deliveries. I could certainly have managed that with an umbrella

Glittercandle Mon 27-Apr-20 19:50:55

Might put off some people who nip to the shop for something to do rather than because they really need too.

Pelleas Mon 27-Apr-20 19:51:42

I think it was the Sainsbo advert that said 'bring a brolly'. Mind you, I'm up north where it rains a lot!

Standrewsschool Mon 27-Apr-20 19:53:39

I was wondering that as well. We’ve been very fortunate thus far. I think people will become grumpy waiting, unless it’s warm and wet. I guess the trick is to go shopping when it is raining heaviest, as there been fewer queues.

EthelMayFergus Mon 27-Apr-20 19:53:51

I'd deliberately go shopping when it's raining in the hope that fewer people will want to queue in it. I just have to hope that not everyone thinks like me or it could seriously backfire smile.

RedRiverHog Mon 27-Apr-20 19:53:59

Hopefully it will put off the people who have just popped in for silly little things, therefore everyone else won't have to wait for long.

Deelish75 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:55:06

My local Sainsbury's is inside a shopping centre so the queues have always been indoors, but we also have a Tesco nearby and the queues are outside snaking around the car park.
So I suspect people will either head for Sainsbury's and the shopping centre or invest in a waterproof coat, brolly and wellies.

Krapom Mon 27-Apr-20 19:56:47

People will get wet.

Gibbonsgibbonsgibbons Mon 27-Apr-20 19:58:34

No such thing as bad weather just insufficient clothing wink

slipperywhensparticus Mon 27-Apr-20 19:59:10

Thanks for the reminder I've just bought a new brolly

Lozza70 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:59:41

Wear a coat, bring a brolly, only shop once a week/fortnight.....

Bearbehind Mon 27-Apr-20 20:00:32

Will good humour be maintained or might this be the tipping point?

The tipping point for what?

Tigercakes Mon 27-Apr-20 20:05:10

EthelMayFergus you're definitely giving the average Brit more credit for their intelligence than they deserve..I.e. Most don't actually think at all. So I'd say your plan is a good one!

ifonly4 Mon 27-Apr-20 20:07:02

Initially it'll stop people from shopping, but in the end they'll have to eat so won't have an option.

I saw something earlier though about Tescos asking you to queue in your car and they'll tell me you when you can get out and go in shop. I don't envy the staff who end up with that job, they're going to get cold and soaked.

Greenandcabbagelooking Mon 27-Apr-20 20:07:48

People will bring an umbrella, wear a coat, or get wet. Or not go shopping.

FuzzyPuffling Mon 27-Apr-20 20:08:32

Other shops will be very envious of The Bude Tunnel.

c3pu Mon 27-Apr-20 20:08:54

It absolutely chucked it down last time I went to Asda. I stood in the rain with my hood up and got soaked for 30 minutes.

As soon as I got under cover it stopped.

DobbyTheHouseElk Mon 27-Apr-20 20:17:24

@FuzzyPuffling I think everyone is jealous of the Bude tunnel!

Waxonwaxoff0 Mon 27-Apr-20 20:20:54

Having been on furlough for 5 weeks I've had time on my hands to work out when to go to the shops to beat the queues.

Sadie789 Mon 27-Apr-20 20:21:06

The wet weather’s going to wipe a few smug faces away that’s for sure.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in