Talk

Advanced search

Realistically, how often do you go to the shops per week?

(289 Posts)
ssd Mon 27-Apr-20 11:14:51

How often do you go to the shops, including if you pop in for milk one day etc

I mean if everyone in the family is healthy.

OP’s posts: |
Truffleshuff Mon 27-Apr-20 11:16:37

I have been doing a 'big' supermarket shop once a fortnight, and then to the corner shop for bread, fruit and milk etc once or twice a week. It's enough for us, but then there's only 3 and DH is often at work where he gets food so it's not too bad. I meal plan though and freeze meat etc which means the fresh stuff lasts longer.

FreckledLeopard Mon 27-Apr-20 11:17:31

About four to five times per week between us. I do the supermarket shop and DP tends to do the smaller shops.

HipTightOnions Mon 27-Apr-20 11:17:41

Once a week to the supermarket. (4 adults.)

MrsChoc Mon 27-Apr-20 11:18:04

Once a week for a main shop (if we can’t get a delivery) plus once to the local shop for milk as we can’t get enough to last the week due to maximum product caps.

flowerycurtain Mon 27-Apr-20 11:18:11

Once a week for us.

Hollyhead Mon 27-Apr-20 11:18:18

Twice - I do an Aldi and a luxury to Waitrose/M&S. I go at 6.30pm though and I'm finding the shops deserted at that time.

dochas06 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:18:21

We get milk delivered and go to the small coop near us for veg maybe every 2-3days.
Boots for baby milk once a week and family do a supermarket shop for us once a week. Q

catsandlavender Mon 27-Apr-20 11:19:35

One big shop a week in Tesco and then a pop to the local Sainsbury’s in the evening when it’s dead to buy some essentials (aka pad out my shopping with bread and milk to justify buying a bottle of wine...)

ThatsWhatHeroesDo Mon 27-Apr-20 11:19:43

Once a week, but I've been able to get milk delivered and a loaf of bread comes with the milk on a Wednesday or it would be more. I quite miss popping to the shop.

EdgarAllenCrow Mon 27-Apr-20 11:20:07

As many times as I want to/need to. Probably 4 x a week. Corner shop that is, supermarket probably once a month.

mindutopia Mon 27-Apr-20 11:20:07

I haven’t been to the shops in 6 weeks (I am in the ‘vulnerable’ group). We get an online shop delivered every 2 weeks and I order wine by the case from a local shop. I only go out once a week to collect fruit and veg boxes from a local wholesaler. But they just sit them outside the shop and I put them in the car, so no contact with anyone.

eurochick Mon 27-Apr-20 11:20:58

Once a week for a big supermarket shop. Not every week but some weeks an additional trip to a Tesco Metro or other smaller shop to get anything they didn't have at the supermarket or to top up fruit if we have eaten it all.

lazylinguist Mon 27-Apr-20 11:21:03

One weekly shop. I don't do any other popping into shops for anything. I signed up for milk delivery a couple of weeks into lockdown, as that was the only thing I was regularly running out of.

megletthesecond Mon 27-Apr-20 11:21:13

I'm getting a click and collect once a week and a delivery every other week. Plus mill deliveries.

megletthesecond Mon 27-Apr-20 11:21:41

Milk deliveries even.

mynameiscalypso Mon 27-Apr-20 11:21:54

I've been twice during lockdown; we mainly get deliveries of meat/veg/essentials from various local suppliers. We've had one Ocado delivery in that time too for nappies and cleaning stuff.

Itoldyouiwasill Mon 27-Apr-20 11:22:07

Once a month for the main shopping. Meat is delivered every few months. Once a week to 10 days for milk, veg and fruit and use a local small co op for that

zscaler Mon 27-Apr-20 11:22:42

Once a week, for 2 adults. We’re vegan so use oat milk rather than cow’s milk and it lasts much longer. We also make our own bread, so we don’t need to top up during the week.

We’re lucky to have a car and live reasonably close to an enormous supermarket, so we have the option of doing a big shop that lasts us the whole week. I imagine that’s virtually impossible for people who have to carry their shopping home on foot and can’t get deliveries.

CremeEggThief Mon 27-Apr-20 11:23:46

Once or twice a week. I hate grocery shopping without a car and a mile walk home. Been spoiled after years of online deliveries.

YellowPirate Mon 27-Apr-20 11:24:03

I've been trying to do a big shop every 3-4 weeks, but I'm changing it to twice a month now as we end up spending too much in one go. My husband goes to the corner shop every Saturday for a top up of bread, milk, fruit and anything else we've forgotten. I've ordered our oat milk and flour online.

RingtheBells Mon 27-Apr-20 11:24:05

About twice a week to a supermarket usually on foot, I managed to get a delivery about once every couple of weeks. About once a week to somewhere like Wilko for diy or garden stuff

SquigglePigs Mon 27-Apr-20 11:24:32

Big shop once every 7-10 days. If it's more like 7 days then no small shop, if more like 10 days I'll do one smaller shop. That's for two adults and a toddler.

HasaDigaEebowai Mon 27-Apr-20 11:24:36

We haven't been since before lockdown started but we have had a delivery.

Generally in normal times once a week.

MeadowHay Mon 27-Apr-20 11:24:38

Frequently because we don't have a car, so I can't carry much at once. More frequently than before as we used to get a big delivery every few weeks to stock up on non perishables but can't do that anymore as can't get delivery slots. DD is high risk now they've updated the guidance, but not in the shielding group. She's attending nursery anyway so I'd feel a fraud trying to get a delivery on that basis anyway.

So I will usually go to the shops once or twice in the week, and then DH will usually do day one further pop to the shops for bread and milk. Then he will also usually get some fresh stuff from the stall at work once a week. So that's about 3-4 times a week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »