Talk

Advanced search

Could "Quiet streets" be planned into new housing developments, like quiet coaches on trains?

(9 Posts)
cheeseismydownfall Sun 26-Apr-20 18:59:15

Just musing this idea!

Lockdown has really shown how much noisy neighbours impact on quality of life, both inside our houses and in our gardens.

Would it be possible to plan for quiet areas in new developments, where covenants are drawn up to prohibit certain behaviours e.g. amplified music/radios/TVs in gardens?

I guess there would be loads of practical issues around what would constitute reasonable noise when it comes to children playing etc. But if there was some way to make it workable I would absolutely sign up!

StoorieHoose Sun 26-Apr-20 19:02:18

How would you police it? Children don't always play quietly - some of them scream and screech and batter football's off walls - you can't then tell the parents to get out of their house. There will always be people who would take it to the extreme ends of the spectrum too

olivehater Sun 26-Apr-20 19:02:19

But life changes. You might start off quiet and then get pregnant and have noisy kids. Will you be chucked out of your house then?

RedAzalea Sun 26-Apr-20 19:02:42

so no children or dogs?

StoorieHoose Sun 26-Apr-20 19:04:31

A retirement complex then?

DysonFury Sun 26-Apr-20 19:09:27

I've said for ages that all the weed smoking screeching fishwives, knuckle dragging potty mouthed naer do wells, and in face do wells, should be housed together where they can play shit loud music in the garden, let their dogs bark all day and race their crap cars around like the saddo chav old men they are, and let all us quiet types have our own streets of blissful quiet and civility. All your power too happy wankers can have their own area in towns too. Makes much more sense.

DysonFury Sun 26-Apr-20 19:10:52

* fact
* tool

DysonFury Sun 26-Apr-20 19:13:06

PS. I have a child, who is told to pipe down if she gets lairy in the garden (this very rarely happens as I parent her, don't just turf her out to screech). I also have a dog I've trained to be quiet and not bark at, well anything.

Pinkflipflop85 Sun 26-Apr-20 19:22:52

Who will police it?
We live on a new build housing estate where many of the covenants are completely ignored!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »