Talk

Advanced search

Work tomorrow HELP

(14 Posts)
Cockeditup Sun 26-Apr-20 18:34:40

Im a key worker, NHS and have been using the local childcare hub for the last two weeks - absolutely zero other options for childcare, single parent.

Only I’ve made a major fuck up and have forgot to book for this week, you have to book by the previous Friday, there is no flexibility on this. I had a extremely busy and stressful week and it completely escaped my mind with it being a weekly task that isn’t usual.

Would it be really inappropriate to leave my 11 year old home for the mornings? I could change my hours to be in work for few hours every morning this week and be home for 1230. He’s a sensible kid, has a phone. I’ve left him a couple of time recently to go food shopping around an hour but he hasn’t been alone longer then this. I would never leave him this long normally but we are not in normal circumstances right now.

I’m worrying about what work are going to say if I ring to tell them I can’t come in for the whole week tomorrow due to my mistake.

OP’s posts: |
Msfoxy17 Sun 26-Apr-20 18:38:11

Absolutely agree that these are not normal circumstances and you are in a difficult situation. If I were you I'd so what you propose..if you know your child is sensible and can look after himself for a few hours then i don't see a big issue. Other people may have different views... But I don't see what options you have really.

Wilkolampshade Sun 26-Apr-20 19:10:37

Completely fine I would say. Tell him to have a lie-in until 11 or so, then he'll probs just be sat up eating a bowl of cereal when you get back. Xx

m00rfarm Sun 26-Apr-20 19:12:38

11 is fine if he’s a normal 11 year old.

stuckindoors77 Sun 26-Apr-20 19:25:26

11 is fine I think, in this circumstance. Do you have friendly neighbours that he could shout over to in an emergancy?

MilkNoSugars Sun 26-Apr-20 19:34:12

Is your 11 year old sensible and happy to be home alone?

If so then yes I would leave them. With a phone and instructions to call you if needed and a neighbour' number too.

And speak to school to explain your mistake, I'm sure they'd take them for the rest of the week as you've made a genuine mistake.

EachDubh Sun 26-Apr-20 19:37:44

It is worth contacting the hub, whilst they may not be able to have him everyday they may have a space ir cancellation. We try to help where we can in our hub.

Cockeditup Sun 26-Apr-20 19:47:57

I’ve tried to contact the hub this afternoon but there was no answer. I know my hub will close at weekends if there aren’t any bookings so I assume that’s was the case. I’m planning of contacting them first thing in the morning to ask if they can have him and go from there.

He’s happy to be left, It is more me worrying I’m far away for longer then I ever have been.

OP’s posts: |
Lifesabeach86 Sun 26-Apr-20 19:52:30

I think it's absolutely fine OP, it's just the mornings

73Sunglasslover Sun 26-Apr-20 19:54:20

I left my 11 year old at home for the day when we had a family crisis. She was absolutely fine. She's sensible and I knew it would be fine. Shad a phone to call me on if needed.

twinnywinny14 Sun 26-Apr-20 19:55:59

Define young contact the hub as if he can go there even for some days that is the best solution obv. Then give him clear instructions and reasoning for he can and cannot do whilst you are out. Leave phone numbers as PP have suggested. As others have said he will probably not do much in that length of time anyway x

BakedCam Sun 26-Apr-20 19:56:06

Oh OP, you poor thing. I'd go with others advice. I'd still keep trying to contact your hub.

hauntedvagina Sun 26-Apr-20 19:56:46

Echoing others, at 11 he will be fine. Most 11 year olds will be making their own way home from school and probably letting themselves in.

Make a friendly neighbour aware he's alone and try and pop him a regular text.

Glasgowgin Sun 26-Apr-20 20:13:01

Mine is not long 12 and we’re both NHS staff. Most of the time one of us is home (though possibly asleep) but some days the shifts clash and he has 10hours ish on his own - can’t be helped, he has refused hub school and tbh it’s the same in holidays in ‘normal’ times anyway.
The only thing I have made sure is I don’t book evening shifts that clash with husbands as I do think that would be unfair - getting his own lunch, yes, but own tea feels wrong!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »