Talk

Advanced search

nursing/residential home workers getting food in from restaurants??

(11 Posts)
justasking111 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:17:41

My local facebook is full of messages of restaurants etc. taking food into hospitals for nurses and other staff. I have not seen one going into residential/nursing homes.

Are they ok, do they need food or are they well catered for? It is bothering me.

OP’s posts: |
Whaddyathinkofthis Sun 26-Apr-20 16:48:21

I'm sure the staff there can work out how to feed themselves...

P1nkHeartLovesCake Sun 26-Apr-20 16:50:05

I’m sure as adults the staff have managed to get food yes.

NoSoapAndGory Sun 26-Apr-20 16:51:20

We've just delivered 4 thank you boxes for the local care homes, and our Indian takeaway has donated a 'working lunch' for all of them on a day of their choice.

You are right - there are a lot of care homes looking after elderly and vulnerable residents. If you can, post something on your community pages to get something organised?

covetingthepreciousthings Sun 26-Apr-20 16:52:38

Our local fish and chip shop delivered to the local care home the other week.

NoSoapAndGory Sun 26-Apr-20 16:52:46

Some of the care home staff have moved in temporarily to protect residents from exposure - it's lovely to show appreciate to them in any way possible.

Thank you for highlighting, OP 🙏

ChinnyReckon123 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:56:41

I'd like to think so. They are usually vastly underpaid in comparison to NHS staff.

Schuyler Sun 26-Apr-20 19:00:44

@Whaddyathinkofthis

” I’m sure the staff there can work out how to feed themselves...”

As can the NHS hospital staff but it’s nice to be nice and help out all frontline staff in tough times though.

@justasking111

There is a local group of people who have organised food for hospitals and have included the care workers and nurses at local nursing and care homes. smile

Whaddyathinkofthis Sun 26-Apr-20 20:21:42

As can the NHS hospital staff but it’s nice to be nice and help outallfrontline staff in tough times though.

Fair enough.

It's not all frontline staff, is it though? It's nurses and carers. Everyone else is just being left to get on with it as normal and some are being vilified in the process.

Schuyler Mon 27-Apr-20 11:52:09

@Whaddyathinkofthis

Fair point. I was under the impression that food deliveries to hospitals included porters, cleaners and admin etc so hopefully this is happening.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 27-Apr-20 11:56:59

The food bank / community project I volunteer at has been coordinating deliveries to the many care homes round here. Pubs, cafes and restaurants have all been donating, from plated meals to cleaning stuff.

They have not been ignored.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »