Talk

Advanced search

Statistics of those in hospital/ICU

(4 Posts)
Firef1y72 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:24:50

Not sure if this has come up before but...

Thinking about how we are going to get out of this lockdown

Have the statistics of those in hospital and more specifically those in ICU/HDU been released?

I know that there are a percentage who are younger or don't have underlying conditions, but is it not still true that they are still a very much smaller percentage.

So would it not be better to return to protecting those that are at higher risk, spending the to ensure they have the delivery slots, have their jobs protected (maybe furloughed at a slightly higher percentage) and the support they need to be able to stay at home. And then allow those at lower risk to slowly get back to normal.

I really can't see anyway out of this other than for the vast majority of us to get the virus. Yes I know there is no natural immunity, but remember there was no natural immunity to the first ever cold virus. And yes we may not get full immunity after catching and surviving it, but most likely we will have an amount of immunity (just like we do against the common cold) which will mean if we catch it again the effects will be milder. Yes there will be people that get seriously ill, but believe me there are people who get seriously ill and even die after catching a common cold.

At the moment I'm thinking that it is very possible that many of those in the ICU/HDU are those who would have been in the much higher risk groups and caught it before they were asked to shield (or in some cases, after as they decided to take the risk, or didn't have the support network to stay in (which should include social support).

If this is the case, should not this group of people not be much better supported (in all ways) to stay safe, which in turn would reduce the numbers needing ICU beds, reduce the strain on the NHS and allow others to continue with the beds being there if they do become seriously ill?

This is just my thinking, I don't mean to offend anyone, I struggle with nuances (am autistic), but with the peak appearing to have been on the 8th April I can't see how the actual lock down has been the main contributing factor in numbers having gone done. To me it appears to have been more the combination of the shielding and people just practising an amount social distancing voluntarliy

OP’s posts: |
Keepdistance Sun 26-Apr-20 10:34:55

The peak being then makes perfect sense. But some areas have apparently still not peaked.

Hopefully someone will post stats on
Hospitalisation by age
Icu by age.

But considering maybe only 5% immune now thats still a lot of younger people going to die from it (12x) to get to even 60%.

Also vulnerable/pregnant/diabetics/etc

Keepdistance Sun 26-Apr-20 10:44:11

Over 17k cases 20-40yo.
To get 5% immune.
So maybe 12x that to get to 60% that is a lot of them. Bear in mind supposedly nhs hasnt been overwhelmed this time but it might the next.
Plus bear in mind the reason so many 60+ die is that they often are not fit for treatment (left in care homes or at home) not given ventilators.

pocketem Sun 26-Apr-20 11:00:46

The intensive care audit and research group ICNARC put out a weekly report

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »