Talk

Advanced search

If B&Q is open why aren't recycling centres?

(118 Posts)
KeepWashingThoseHands Sat 25-Apr-20 17:10:38

My council aren't collecting green bins until at least mid-May, so 6 weeks now. Annoying but I'll manage, but also getting a backlog of loads of cardboard boxes etc. that don't fit in the blue bin which is also only collected every 2 weeks.

I know this isn't the biggest issue but recycling centres are outside, people are fairly apart anyway and we don't want fly tipping. It's really curious what's permitted to be open and what isn't.

OP’s posts: |
Gronky Sat 25-Apr-20 17:14:20

Do you have a hooked carpet knife? They're great for tearing through boxes so they can be flat packed and stored in the garage/attic/cupboard under the stairs (apologies if you live in a flat). I've not read a specific rationale from the government but, considering they don't rot, it seems like DIY shops are needed to effect emergency home repairs while collection of inoffensive waste isn't essential (though it's a nuisance).

Spodge Sat 25-Apr-20 17:28:55

Just wait until a fire rips through a block of flats full of cardboard that the council won't take away.

Sennetti Sat 25-Apr-20 17:33:19

What’s b &q got to do with it?

Aridane Sat 25-Apr-20 17:34:31

Because cardboard disposal isn’t essential and a ‘nice to have’ thing for people with cars and cardboard?

Dinosauratemydaffodils Sat 25-Apr-20 17:56:12

I know this isn't the biggest issue but recycling centres are outside, people are fairly apart anyway and we don't want fly tipping. It's really curious what's permitted to be open and what isn't.

I though it was maybe more to do with staffing? One of our recyling centre guys (we take bottles regularly) is currently helping out on the bin lorry.

rawlikesushi Sat 25-Apr-20 17:57:52

In our area it's to do with staffing. They've been redeployed.

dementedpixie Sat 25-Apr-20 17:58:58

DIY stores are allowed to be open.

dementedpixie Sat 25-Apr-20 18:00:20

I know one local council says a trip to the tip isnt an essential journey.

Spacie Sat 25-Apr-20 18:03:23

Because cardboard disposal isn’t essential and a ‘nice to have’ thing for people with cars and cardboard?

But "waste disposal" is an essential service.
I wonder if they could open by appointment (at least one site I know does this anyway - you have to enter your registration number in an online form to stop commercial vehicles but it could be adapted I would have thought)

Sennetti Sat 25-Apr-20 18:14:33

Only hazardous waste is essential

The80sweregreat Sat 25-Apr-20 18:15:46

Once the tips do open up the queues will go round the block!

Fleetheart Sat 25-Apr-20 18:17:52

Another one here who wishes they would open. We are all doing stuff in the house and garden and want to move the stuff out. Social distancing can be observed.

dementedpixie Sat 25-Apr-20 18:18:55

Hire a skip then

Sennetti Sat 25-Apr-20 18:27:03

Social distancing can be observed for you........what about the staff?

Can they carry large/heavy items whilst maintaining 2 metre distancing?

If not they should remain closed!

Richlyfruited Sat 25-Apr-20 18:31:40

For me the tip has felt like an essential service. We've just been forced by the council to clear out my dad's flat after he died a few weeks ago. Lockdown was not a reason to extend the deadline apparently confused

I have nowhere to take his stuff but they're going to charge me to dispose of anything that is left behind.

This has all just made my life that bit more difficult and upsetting sad

dementedpixie Sat 25-Apr-20 18:34:54

Could you use a house clearance service? Private waste disposal sites may still be open, I know they are in my area despite the council ones being closed

Plump82 Sat 25-Apr-20 18:49:36

I wish they'd open too as someone has dumped a bed, mattress and a tv unit next to my house. There was an exercise bike too but someone else has decided to rehome that!

KeepWashingThoseHands Sat 25-Apr-20 18:51:30

Yes I think social distancing can be observed outside at a recycling centre, way more so than other essential workers.

At my centre everyone climbs the steps in single file anyway and puts stuff in the skip. Large items could be left at the side.

Reduced staffing levels - maybe reduced opening times or facilities?

My sister went in B&Q and far from it being emergency 'home repairs', there's garden furniture etc. out. I'm personally not that bothered about that as gives people something to do but as I say think it's v odd what's open and what's not and think some aspects of waste disposal will become a problem if shut for over 2 months.

Sennetti Sat 25-Apr-20 18:54:25

2 man lift for a fridge, oven,washingmachine......left 'at the side' would need moving by THE STAFF.....its them i'm thinking of, not people dumping stuff, thats their choice!

stores such as b&m and the range, even walks.....all sell garden stuff too, and they have been open since day one with no regard to their staff....at all!

nowaitaminute Sat 25-Apr-20 18:55:18

I find it strange that the recycling service has stopped in the uk! It never stopped here in Ireland, they just have some restrictions in place. And you can still get a skip too!!

dementedpixie Sat 25-Apr-20 18:57:55

You can still get a skip here too. Our council is still collecting all the bins as usual but recycling centres are all closed

user2323232323 Sat 25-Apr-20 18:58:05

I wish the recycling centres would reopen too.

KeepWashingThoseHands Sat 25-Apr-20 18:59:07

@Sennetti

Well maybe people can think around a problem, given this isn't going away any time soon. It's better to have large items dumped at a recycling centre even in a haphazard way than it is littered all over the place.

Plus there's lots of stuff that isn't white goods and people can put into skips themselves.

Wewearpinkonwednesdays Sat 25-Apr-20 18:59:33

Yup, our council (not sure if it's the same everywhere) have stopped collecting recycling. We have to bag them up and keep them. They have also taken away all the bins at the local super market. They collect our green bin once every 3 weeks. I have so much glass, paper, plastic and Tins it's ridiculous. We had to pay someone to come and take the bulk of it away. We had nowhere to store it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »