Talk

Advanced search

How many keyworkers are self isolating at the moment and need a test

(3 Posts)
chomalungma Sat 25-Apr-20 11:19:14

We are told there are 10 million keyworkers.

There are 16,000 tests 'bookable' online for the drive through centres plus home testing kits. Apparently 46,000 people tried to access the site.

I wonder how many keyworkers there actually are who are self isolating at the moment - and need this test to show that they probably haven't got it.

I say 'probably' because we don't know how sensitive this test is - and we really want it to be as near to 100% as if it tells you you are negative, there is a chance that you aren't negative and you could be falsely reassured and start spreading the disease.

We do need to get decent testing done though - rapid and lots of track and tracing.

OP’s posts: |
whatsleep Sat 25-Apr-20 11:29:16

I’m going g to be tested tomorrow. I’ll be on day 7 and am starting to feel a little better. I’m hoping the test is accurate enough to pick up if I have the virus or not? If not what’s the point in being tested at all 🤷‍♀️

If it’s negative I can (in theory) go back into school and if positive I’ll isolate for longer and the rest of my family will too.

chomalungma Sat 25-Apr-20 11:34:31

’m hoping the test is accurate enough to pick up if I have the virus or not

That's the key question.

I haven't seen an accurate assessment of the sensitivity figure.

90% sensitivity means that for every 100 people who are positive, 90 of them would test positive.

There have been some issues over the reagent quality used and other issues that affect the sensitivity of the test.

I haven't seen any figures yet for the sensitivity of these tests - it's a bit concerning when doing tests like these that people may be reassured by a negative result and return to work - but are in fact positive.

I wonder how many keyworkers at the moment actually are self isolating though and need the tests. Certainly there seems to be a demand for them.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »