Talk

Advanced search

Obesity

(8 Posts)
Silversleeve Sat 25-Apr-20 07:18:56

At the start of the pandemic I'm sure I read something about obesity being a condition that made you more vulnerable to CV19. Haven't seen it mentioned recently but looking at the pictures of younger people who have sadly died many do look well overweight. Does anyone know if it having a disproportionate effect on younger overweight people?

OP’s posts: |
TimeForChange123 Sat 25-Apr-20 07:20:48

If it increases your risk it increases your risk at any age but that risk will increase the older you are.

ChoppingBlock Sat 25-Apr-20 07:27:03

The fitter, healthier and younger you are, the lower the risk.

Lots of people are overweight/obese so it could be a factor in common, rather than a causing factor.

I do know someone who was confirmed to have the virus, 55, obese, asthmatic - she didn't even get a cough and had mild symptoms, she's now back at work in an ICU.

lljkk Sat 25-Apr-20 09:00:02

BMI > 40 is the high risk group. Not so clear cut below that. See ICNARC reports.

Prisonbreak Sat 25-Apr-20 09:02:46

Obesity will always work against you. There is no positive to it

feelingverylazytoday Sat 25-Apr-20 09:28:57

There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence from frontline staff that obesity is connected with more serious complications, probably enough to consider it as a factor.

SophieB100 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:34:46

It was mentioned as a factor that was being looked into by Jennie Harries at the press briefing last week OP. Said that the scientists were looking at statistics, like BAME, age, Male/Female ratio and obesity.

CherryPavlova Sat 25-Apr-20 09:47:01

Prisonbreak That’s not actually true.

In fact, mildly obese and overweight patients tend to have better survival rates than normal weight patients after many types of surgery. Over the last decade or so, this ‘obesity paradox’,6 has also been reported in medical conditions such as coronary artery disease, heart failure, peripheral arterial disease, hypertension, stroke, and renal failure.

bjanaesthesia.org/article/S0007-0912(17)30438-5/fulltext

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »